PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia

booncool
04/27/2006, 01:02 PM
Aiptasia had grown all over my aquarium. recently i've heard that the peppermint shrimp does eat the Aiptasia can i use this kind of shrimp end the problem ane does the peppermint shrimp also feed on any other coral polyps

affan
04/27/2006, 01:04 PM
Joe's Juice.

socalreefer73
04/27/2006, 01:05 PM
I had aiptasia controlled by peppermint shrimp. I had 2 in my 30g. Get a few more if your tank is larger. I've never heard reports of them eating stony coral, only aiptasia. The will spawn in the tank providing a natural foodsource for your corals (what doesn't get skimmed out).

mynameisearl
04/27/2006, 01:24 PM
I believe copperband butterfly fish eat aiptasia also.Hope this helps.

rutledgek
04/27/2006, 01:34 PM
Yes Copperband butterfly fish do eat aiptasia, but they are a very delicate fish, and I have seen many a specimen that won't touch the stuff if given something else. You could try berghia nudibranches. They reproduce in the aquarium, and ONLY eat aiptasia.

blackie lawless
04/27/2006, 01:38 PM
IMO, the cheapest and best resolution is Joe's Juice. The Peppermints may or may not eat your Aips. As said above, the Copprband is very delicate. Berghia are effective, but expensive and delicate as well.

Joe's Juice = Instant Death and it's cheap.

stellablu
04/27/2006, 01:44 PM
FWIW, I had a heniochus that never touched any of my corals, but cleaned out my aiptasia. If you have the room and want a nice looking fish it's an option. Just be careful it's the more reef-safe species, they can be easily mistaken for one another.

I never really liked CB that much and peppermints have always been a hit or miss for me. Although, I have noticed if you buy the peppermints as small as you can get them they tend to be more helpful.

Joe's Juice was a pain the butt for me because I had tons of tiny ones that were just too hard to inject and some quite large ones that just didn't want to die!

Berghia have the tendency to disappear and you really should have enough of them in the tank to breed so you'll always have an army of them to eat the aiptasia. They're expensive for a little nudi that easily gets sucked up an intact. $15 a pop and depending on your tank size, I'd get 2 per 20g. It adds up. I would only use them in my nanos.

You can also try injecting boiling hot water into the mouth and base of the aiptasia for a chemical-free way to eradicate the buggers.

Good luck, sometimes you have to try several ways and sometimes you're lucky to have one work the first time. :)

twon8
04/27/2006, 01:48 PM
just mix up some kalk into a paste and use that as you would joe's juice. it's the same thing, they just repackage and $

xinumaster
04/27/2006, 01:53 PM
perpermint shrimp works on me. Perpermint shrimp keeps aiptasia in check in my tank.