PDA

View Full Version : What effect will a salinity of 1.034 have on a tank?

CyanoMagnet
04/27/2006, 03:12 PM
Hi, I have another thread posted about my tank which was(is)in the process of crashing.
I am very worried about my tank, and this is somewhat related question.
Yesterday I discovered my tank salinity was 1.034 (around there),after looking for a reason to why my tank is crashing.
My corals have been slowly dying off over a period of 2 months.
Ive checked EVERYTHING ELSE in the tank and everything else is within parameters, except DKH which was 5.6 dkhp.
Im sorry for posting 2x, but I realy need a specific answer to this question to make sure this is why my tank is crashing.

CyanoMagnet
04/27/2006, 03:13 PM
Typo

Travis L. Stevens
04/27/2006, 03:25 PM
You're Alkalinity and Calcium are most likely not where they are supposed to be and is the biggest cause of your problems. The high specific gravity is definitely not helping any. You should be aiming for 1.022-1.027 (1.025 prefered), 7-11dkh, and 380-420 ppm Calcium (Maybe more in an SPS/Clam tank). Also, make sure that you are checking your water with a refractometer and not a swing arm hydrometer.

For more information on Calcium and Alkalinity imbalances, please read this article. It is well worth your time. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm