PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with UV sterilizers?

Capt_Cully
04/27/2006, 07:09 PM
I was telling someone at my LFS that my tank is going well but I get this feather shaped algae blooming in certain spots. Nothing in my tank eats it. I HATE IT!!! Only cure I've found is ripping the little clumps out by hand. Not much of a cure at all.

She suggested a UV sterilizer. How do they work? Do they REALLY work? and How do those of you that use them feel about it? Thanks

iCam
04/27/2006, 07:12 PM
A UV sterilizer would help clear a tank clouded by an algae bloom in the water column, but the algae you have will need to be manually removed, and also taken care of with good water quality (reduced nutrients). Something has to pass through the UV tube to be killed, whether it be good or bad for the tank.

It doesn't harm to have one, but they're not really necessary.

Capt_Cully
04/27/2006, 07:15 PM
I've cut back on my feeding and I haven't increased my lighting at all. I've had this stuff show up in pockets that move from spot to spot. My parameters are all where they should be. this stuff is just a nuisance!

socalreefer73
04/27/2006, 07:18 PM
UV - aka Ultra-Violet Sterilizer... I think it's mostly a gimmick when it comes to reef tanks.. some say they kill bad things that need killing... some say they kill good stuff too (not to mention changing chemical compounds)... I say your LFS can't stay in business unless they sell you stuff.

I would check my nutrient levels (NO3, PO4) and make sure I'm not overfeeding (food hits the bottom of the tank uneaten).

Capt_Cully
04/28/2006, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I have a strong suspition that overfeeding is the answer, although, my inhabitants rarely miss a scrap. Gonna have to try a little diet.

SDguy
04/28/2006, 09:11 AM
Make sure that aquaC is really performing well...getting raw, surface water from the tank directly, and really producing gunk. Do you have macro in the fuge? How is it doing? I personally am a big proponent of UV sterilizers, as they have worked very well for me, but not for algae control. As mentioned, they only work on what's in the water column.

Capt_Cully
04/28/2006, 11:30 AM
The pump serving the skimmer is in the compartment of the sump that is fed directly from the overflow. As for gunk? I can attest, through cleaning it, that it makes plenty of foul smelling gunk.

I have chaeto in the refugium which grows pretty fast. The light on it is a 39w flourescent from home depot that is on opposite the display lighting. On at 11p, off at 7a. T5s come on 11a-11p and MH 2:30p to 9p. I had been increasing them 1/2 hr a month but slowed down on that with the noting of increased algae. Gonna let it settle a little before increasing the interval.

sttroyiii
04/28/2006, 11:51 AM
If its green, you can try buying a lawnmower blenny. They really get aggressive at ripping the algae off the rocks. You might have to feed him a little nori after he gets it all.