PDA

View Full Version : Stand Door Problem!

je1683
04/27/2006, 08:17 PM
Well, after having my new tank up and running for going on three weeks, I realize that there is something wrong with the stand that came with it. The stand is for a 125 and so has two double-hung door openings. The problem is, the hinge on one of the doors keeps working itself loose. After looking closer I have realized that the wood that the hinge is screwed into is cracked, right where the hinge screws are placed. The crack is a vertical one and travels from the bottom screw past the top one. It has gotten to where the door won't shut because the screws keep working themselves out. What can I do? I have absolutely no carpentry skills so I am clueless! HELP!

BeanAnimal
04/27/2006, 08:21 PM
First squirt some yellow wood glue into the crack and then use a small clamp to pull it together. A damp rag will help with cleanup. You may also want to take a few toothpicks and shove them into the screw holes if they are wobbled out. You can cut the toothpicks flush with a razor blade or other knife.

Once the glue is dry, you can put the door back on.

je1683
04/27/2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! A couple Qs. Do I put the glue in the screw holes before I put the toothpicks in? Once the glue is dry, do I just screw them back into the holes with the toothpicks? Again, thanks for the help!

Fast Fred
04/27/2006, 08:30 PM
It isn't nessisary to glue the toothpicks in, or to put glue in the screw holes. But if some gets in there, that's OK too. Remove the doors where the crack is before attempting to glue the crack. Just be sure to let the glue dry for at least 24hrs before reassembly. Just intert the toothpicks in the hole just prior to installing the doors.