PDA

View Full Version : Eric Borneman's tank crash

itZme
04/27/2006, 09:25 PM
If anyone is interested, Eric Borneman's largest tank has had a complete crash and total loss. It is posted at the "other" forums.
I don't think I am allowed to link there from RC anymore but it has an "EPO" missing from the link I will post. You will have to copy the link and replace the *** with e, p, o to see it.

http://www.marined***t.com/FORUMS/Topic32610-9-1.aspx

If this is in violation of the rules please delete the post.

Tought there would be many reefers interested in learning of this event.

-- Kevin

itZme
04/28/2006, 02:48 PM
It seems like right after I posted last night their forums went down over there. Just checked and the thread is back up again if you tried and couldn't get through.

Interesting reading but sad to hear about.

-- Kevin

coralfarmer84
04/28/2006, 02:58 PM
wow that sucks. I'd cry tooo. How big was his tank? i couldn't seem to come across that...

itZme
04/28/2006, 03:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7267656#post7267656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
wow that sucks. I'd cry tooo. How big was his tank? i couldn't seem to come across that...

I believe that one was around 700g total volume. He has a reply somewhere on page 4 and again on 7 I think.

-- Kevin

Electrobes
05/05/2006, 10:51 AM
It sounds a bit much that someone sabatoged his tank.. I mean unfortunately for all of us poo happens, but to claim sabatoge... I am a bit skeptical.

It REALLY sucks that he lost his tank.. I hate to see anyone as prominent as him to recieve a blwo like that... enough of one to take a hiatus from it. :(

ChickenCannoneer
05/05/2006, 01:22 PM
After reading through it is seems that is the only logical answer. I would have taken nearly 400gallons of fresh water to change the salinity that much and his RO/DI only makes 50 gpd. It seems unthinkable but that seems pretty reasonable to me. Just my $.02

Whaledriver
05/05/2006, 01:25 PM
I read through that and agree that without any other clues its hard to think it was sabotage.

My guess was to open up the ro/di and see if something blew out like a failed mebrane.

Jamokie01
05/05/2006, 02:11 PM
He should have tested his water for chlorine.

ChickenCannoneer
05/05/2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah that would have been a good idea. Also what happened that he got a bad rep. on RC?

Kreeger1
05/05/2006, 03:59 PM
Talked with him inperson last weekend, Hes pretty positive that someone did this.

Jamokie01
05/05/2006, 04:14 PM
Oh Id say theres no question that someone did it. He has his sump in a shed outside that is right next to a hose. Several hundred gallons were added to his system. The overflow poured out of his sump and drained through his french drain system out into the street, where salt deposits were found.
Several things would have to go wrong at the exact same time in order for anything like this to happen any other way, and still then it would be almost impossible. I think the quickest was to have known that the water came from the hose would have been to test the water for chlorine, since I strongly doubt he is ro/di filtering his hose water.
The thing that bothered me the most were the people who came on and told him what happened to his tank, without having any knowledge about his system or how things were arranged.

sammie
05/05/2006, 08:44 PM
I could see a neighborhood kid putting Erics own garden hose in the sump and let it run thinking it was funny. I don't claim to know anything about his system or his neighbors but kids will be kids especially these days. I think testing for chlorine now after he did all the water changes would not show up but it would have when he first discovered it.

This would be like having the family dog poisioned....

ChickenCannoneer
05/05/2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah a giant 3 ton dog with countless irreplaceable corals in it. It just makes me feel so sorry for him losing his pride and joy.

Jamokie01
05/06/2006, 01:06 AM
Oh Id much rather lose the dog. I can buy a new dog.

And no it wouldnt, the chlorine would dissipate after about 3 days.