PDA

View Full Version : center braces

noobtank
04/28/2006, 12:51 AM
not sure if this is the right forum...is it pretty much standard to have center braces on tanks above 55 gallons. i want to get a 58,65,75 gallon tank but i don't want the center brace. can someone help me find a tank that doesn't have one?!?!?

tia

tkeracer619
04/28/2006, 01:03 AM
You can have a tank without one

My 150 doesnt have one. It has a slight bow but well within acceptible limits.

Its going to cost more becouse the glass or acylic has to be thicker to compensate for no center brace.

Older tanks are somtimes made of thicker glass and dont have the center brace. The tag on mine says 1984. Paid 150 bucks for it. $1 per gallon wasnt a bad deal, especially since it came with stand, sump, and 2 hospital tanks. =)

What is the reasoning behing the no center brace. It wont block much of any light if you do the lighting right.

noobtank
04/28/2006, 02:18 AM
which companies make them? there isn't a glass shop around here that specializes in making tanks so i don't want to try it. i just like the looks of open tank tops with a hanging pendant. it's clean. jdm (overused phrase, but i think you can relate) if you will :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=635883&perpage=25&highlight=open%20top%20tanks&pagenumber=1

i went to all glass and oceanics websites but idont think they sell em without the brace...are there any companies that advertise on reefcentral that have them?

Andrew
04/28/2006, 04:58 AM
If you just buy a standard tank, for say AGA, you do need to have a brace. If not, then the glass will start to bow out. You could always cut out the black brace and replace it with an arylic brace.

tkeracer619
04/28/2006, 01:02 PM
I can relate :P

PM sent

tkeracer619
04/28/2006, 01:31 PM
btw how far are you from daytona. The street racing scene there is great. Took the acura down there one year to spank some rice and ended up breaking a ring around jacksonville =/. She made it all week and back to NC with a broken ring =P