PDA

View Full Version : My Super skimmer 125 mods.

-TS-Vash
04/28/2006, 01:47 PM
It would not fit under my stand so i had to play with it let me know what you think.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/-TS-Vash/coralifesuperskimmer.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/-TS-Vash/skimmerreturnforRC.jpg

-TS-Vash
04/28/2006, 01:48 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/-TS-Vash/100_0060.jpg

It draws water from the sump and returns it back to my sump it makes NO noise at all out side the stand.

dfcjr
04/28/2006, 01:52 PM
Nice,you gotta love pvc.

-TS-Vash
04/28/2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks and yes i do lol.

-TS-Vash
04/28/2006, 02:06 PM
First i used pvc cement to hold the skimmer to a 12x12 piece of acrylic to make it stand up since it falls over with out the pump to hold it up. Then i got a 1 gallon rubermade from the grocery store and taped the top for my reservoir for the skimmer collection cup. Then i used pvc cement to cement 1" pvc in the water return line then 6 90 degree elbows and 5 feet of 1" pvc to run the return water back to my sump. I went to my LFS to get 10 feet of eheim 16/22mm vinyl tubing. I then ran the tubing from the pump in my sump to the skimmer outside my stand. Its was easy. For the return i like the bubble trap so i put it in the sump over the edge and plumbed the returned strait into it but the filter media at the bottom got dirty to fast and then my tank would fill up with bubbles so i removed the white media and replaced it with the same media foam that was around the top the black foam now it can go a while before it gets cloged and makes my tank fill with micro bubbles.

Jasen Hicks
04/28/2006, 03:27 PM
Id recommend getting a valve and putting it inline from the skimmer cup to the big jug you have. Mine has gone crazy 2X and caused a 15 gallon flood when i was at work both times, then again, i guess in your situation it doesnt matter because yours will just spill all over the floor regardless where its sitting now if it goes nuts. And by the way, as good as these things are they will go nuts once or twice, everyone who has had ond has had it happen.

-TS-Vash
04/28/2006, 05:08 PM
Im taping the other side of the reservoir and plumbing it back to the sump then im closing the vent on the skimmer collection cup so when it over flows it will dump back into the sump.

mhj1580
04/28/2006, 05:34 PM
Maybe you can do like I did to my css 65 I took a 4’ section of 3” pvc a Male thread and female thread coupling and a female thread insert for 3” pvc I ground the outside of the thread insert down to fit into where the o-ring sits the glued with pvc cement. Put together the PVC pipe with a male coupling on one end and a female threaded coupling on the other. Glued the skimmer cup the side with female threads, cut the return line and extended it up 3’ 8” with 1” pvc. Epoxy around the base of this pipe to prevent leaking. Put Teflon around the new 3” PVC male union threads and carefully thread it into the skimmer. Installed an off brand 600 gph pump and fore inject air before the pump. On a side note if you do this your skimmer can not hang on the side of the tank anymore for the water pressure will cause it to leak around the base if you do. It has to sit on a firm surface. (I also drilled the collection cup to allow it to drain into a 2L bottle)

-TS-Vash
04/28/2006, 08:27 PM
Any one else have any mods they can post? I would like to see some other mods on the 125s.