PDA

View Full Version : royal gramma sick?

rodgod20
04/28/2006, 02:13 PM
Ok, yesterday I noticed the gramma wasn't acting normal at all, kinda hiding in the rocks. Figured that he found a new place to stay and swim around cause he was coming out, but not very often.

Now, came home after my exams today and feed him, well he ate just fine, but noticed that he would dart out and tremor for a sec and swim back to his hole after eating.

usually he would just hang out near the back of the aquarium and stay there.

The tremor thing bothers me, looks kinda like a back spasm. Hermits and snails are fine. A book I have states looks like poisioning so I did a water change a few minutes ago.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I just got this fist a week ago yesterday and he is my first fish.

Some advice is greatly needed

rodgod20
04/28/2006, 05:33 PM
bump

CrystalAZ
04/28/2006, 07:30 PM
The hiding and darting out sounds like typical gramma behavior, but the tremor is weird. I'd keep an eye on him - make sure he is eating ok and such.

You may want to poke around in the fish disease forum too and see if there is any condition that causes tremors.

Crystal

szwab
04/28/2006, 07:43 PM
any other fish in the tank?
he may just be displaying to another fish

tkeracer619
04/28/2006, 09:33 PM
Its his first fish.

What are the water conditions. Numbers?

AnAnemone
04/28/2006, 10:31 PM
It could be challenging you, or claiming more territory.
or, perhaps it's epileptic.
Does it remain in normal swim-type position, or does it roll a bit and start to float?
TimO

rodgod20
04/29/2006, 12:27 AM
sorry for the lateness and thanks for the replies, this has been bothering me

1st water params:
SG: 1.023 (raising it the next few weeks with water changes)
Am: 0
Trites: 0
Trates: 2.5ppm
PH: 8.2

it stays in normal swimming patern and he is eating! He will come out and eat. I just the tremors. I am watching him tightly.

I think if I had anything wrong with params the snails would be very odd as well, but they seem fine and happy eating the diatoms.

I'll check the fish disease forum (didn't know they had one)

If you have any other ideas please feel free to chime in.

cfarrow2
04/29/2006, 12:34 AM
I've got a royal gramma as well. I noticed the same behavior several days ago, but now he's fine. Not sure what the deal was there, but he's stopped doing it....for now. I think it's more of a behavioral thing than an illness. Keep an eye on him, but i wouldn't worry too much. BTY, try to get those nitrates down, just for peace of mind.

rodgod20
04/29/2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I am keeping an eye on that and I am working on keeping it down. No coral yet because of that. I think it might be the sponge in the filter system. This is a nano cube.

I'll going to hit the nano forums soon and talk about cutting it down.

Also, the person that stated he might be tending to his territory...you think he might be mad at my cats. They like to watch the aquarium with me. Especially the snails.

BTW to all RC reefer's, thanks for all of the help you have given me, I find these forums are helping me alot and is a good distraction from your thesis!

cfarrow2
04/29/2006, 01:24 AM
Soon to be Doctor?

rodgod20
04/29/2006, 09:33 AM
ohhh noo....master's thesis. Its a hard department to get through