PDA

View Full Version : ASM g3 question

deadmanh
04/28/2006, 02:34 PM
does the water level around the skimmer matter OR affect the performance if the skimmer has the Recirculation mod? i will probably have a feed pump but i might go with directly fed skimmer from the overflow.

the way that i think about it, it might only matter about the surrounding water level beause the venturi has to suck harder to bring air down into the skimmer.

deadmanh
04/28/2006, 07:42 PM

xtrstangx
04/28/2006, 10:11 PM
The G3 should be in about 10" of water to perform its best.

And yes, it has to deal with the venturi having to suck harder.

deadmanh
04/29/2006, 01:00 AM
ill post this question in the ASM thread as well,..... but using a G3 in my stand it will barely fit and i didnt want to only have 10 inches of water around my skimmer or less ( i want about 13-15 inches of water around the skimmer).... because it would lower the overall amount of water for the system... what about takeing a pvc pipe with an endcap poking a hole through the endcap and sticking the venturi though that....

OK my explanation sucks but then you can lower the water level ONLY AROUND THE VENTURI ITSELF...... thoughts?

deadmanh
04/29/2006, 03:49 AM
hmm on second thought.... why does it matter where the water level is with respect to the venturi?..... its still the same length of pipe.

revrenhex
04/29/2006, 04:23 AM
It does matter because of how much internal pressure is on the skimmer, how hard the pump has to work to push the water to your desired head, and how hard the venturi has to pull. I have my G2 in about 13 inches of water and it works great. The real secret is consistancy. If you put it in 13 inches of water, spend a few weeks getting it dialed in, leave it! As long as your water level never changes, you will get rock solid performance. Although I did notice a small drop in performance from when I had it setting in 7 inches of water, but not much.

robsmith32
04/30/2006, 12:45 AM
fwiw , my g3 actually worked better going to 13" deep..
from 8-11 just never did much. 13 was the lucky number for me..lol