PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Hosting?

exiled_infidel
04/28/2006, 06:23 PM
Hi

Just got a pair of CB maroon clowns a few days ago. They went into my tank which is filled with coral (mainly LPS and softies) as well as several anemones (have a large 6-8" crispa, a tiny 1.5" BTA, 3 4-6" malus and a 3" haddoni) but as yet they havent hosted anything.

Yesterday i tried putting the smaller one into a cut, overturned coke bottle half. I placed this over hte crispa anemone and left him there for about 15minutes.

He was touching the tentacles and all, not getting stung or anything but when he was released back into the water column, he just swam off again, never looking back at his plush estate. :(

I realise that they are CB and some people believe that CB clowns may never host (and personally i dont believe this as i feel it is instinctual).

I also know that crispas arent exactly the natural host to maroons but i have seen clowns in non-natural hosts before.

What are the chances of them hosting?

I am now trying to 'force' the relationship by putting the two clowns into a fishcage with the crispa on a rock (didnt want to remove the crispa, he is reasonably stuck on). Lets all hope that works.

Thanks for any advice and replies

stykthyn
04/29/2006, 12:24 AM
hmm I have never had a hosting problem with maroons. they have hosed anything I have put with them. Bubble corals, LTA, BTA, and Condy anemones. Be patient, I wouldnt force anything. Maroons are very hard on their hosts and could possibly damage the anemone or at the outside the anemone may consume the clown if it doesnt host and cant get away. Just be patient, once they settle in they will more than likely start to host one of the anemones.

exiled_infidel
04/29/2006, 08:06 PM
Hi

The maroons dont seem to mind sitting and swimming in the anemone in the fish cage.

They still dont sleep in it (female sleeps under its column and male does the same on another side, out of her sight).

The female is chasing the male around a bit, nothing serious, no major fin tears. He hasnt done the shimmy submissive dance thing yet though.

Despite this, when scared by me poking around the fish cage with a hydrometer, the female still hides under the rock while the male has some sense to think that the anemone provides him some sort of protection.

Lets hope this works out soon, :)