PDA

View Full Version : Select Fiji Premium Live Rock

bkv1997
04/28/2006, 09:18 PM
I want to start off by saying I have been ordering from LiveAquaria for over 4 years and this is the first time I have ever been unhappy, I really hope the below is an isolated issue.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=397

A couple quotes:
"The average size of each rock in a 22 and 45 pound box varies between 6 and 14 inches."

"We leave out the rubble that is often found at the bottom of the box when the shipments of this style rock enters the country"

"80-90% covered in Coralline algae"

Pictures of what I recieved:
1 10-12" rock
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/LiveRock1.jpg

2 6-8" Rocks
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/LiveRock2.jpg

5 3-5" Rocks all smaller than the 6" minimum in the description.
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/LiveRock3.jpg

15.8 pounds of rubble... Read quote above...
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/Gravel.jpg

As you can see there is no 90% Coralline Coverage. I hate to post this here, but when I called customer service explaining that what I had recieved wasn't what I was expecting I was told "the coralline always dies off during shipping, after you cure it you will see the 90% coralline coverage". Anyways I have emailed these same pictures to customerservice@liveaquaria.com.

And just to touch on the weight issue:
I was shipped 40.2 pounds of live rock. 15.8 of that was complete rubble. So of the 24.4 pounds I even consider usable probably 6-8 pounds of that was all below the 6" minimum. So for $160 dollars I got (3 rocks) around 18 pounds of what I consider uncured and maybe 15-20% coralline covered rock.

Hopefully you guys can see this isn't right and will make it better.

Again this is the only order out of about 25 I have ever had an issue with.

Brandon

Brent Thomann
04/28/2006, 11:07 PM
they definitely should send you a new box! and something additional for the inconveniences.

dfs/la2
04/29/2006, 07:28 AM
Thank you for your post. Our aquatics team will be available to respond to posts from 9am-4pm CST Monday-Friday. For questions or concerns regarding your order, please contact us at 1-800-334-3699 (8am-10pm CST), PM us or email us at CustomerService@LiveAquaria.com. Thank you.

thefishguy3
04/29/2006, 11:17 AM
OMG,

Search the threads, you will find that you aren't alone....

In fairness, they usually do try to make it right, but it is an inconvenience....

bkv1997
04/29/2006, 01:17 PM
I have been a long time customer of liveaquaria and the rock was the first and only order to date I have ever had an issue with.

I recieved a call from liveaquaria at 11a.m. this morning apologizing for the mistake. The person I spoke with thanked me for taking the time to take pictures as he was going to send it on to his management.

I have another box coming and was promised it wouldn't be anything like the last.

Mistakes happen, but when they do great customer service like that of liveaquarias customer service department, goes a long way.

I'll post pictures of my second batch just to give a complete follow up, but for now I am very pleased atleast with the effort to correct things.

Brandon

ironman2
04/29/2006, 08:33 PM
hello, I also ordered a 45 pound box from liveaquaria.com. I ordered it in january, I paid extra for overnight shipping, cause I wanted as little die off as possible. When I recieved the rock it was dry as a bone, and not a drop of water in the bag. the whole bottom of the box was 4" deep in rubble. total I only recieved 20 pounds of rock and just like yours BKV. mine had 0% coraline coverage, no life whatsoever. I would have been better off to buy lace rock. the only good thing was the rock was shaped good. even though the pieces I recieved were smaller than advertised.
I called customer service and they were somewhat helpful. they offerd to send me a 22 pound box to make up the difference in weight. I told them that I wanted what they advertised or dont bother. they said they cant see the rock so they cant garanty anything, but that I probly just got a bad shipment. they sent another 22 pound box, which only had a 12 pound rock and a 5 pound rock. which also had no coraline. it looked identical to the rock I had already recieved. After dealing with it the first time I chose to not bother with them anymore, and after seeing this it obviously isnt a isolated incedent. three months later there still is no coraline growth or any other growth you normally get from good liverock.
I have spent alot of money with dr foster over the years on my dry goods, but Im alittle discoraged with there liveaqauria.
heres some pics of what I got.

ironman2
04/29/2006, 08:43 PM
hello, I had the same problem. In january I also orderd a 45 pound box. in that box I got 20 pounds of below average size rock. the rest was rubble, which was only another 10 pounds. I paid extra for overnight shipping cause I wanted as little die off as possible. when the rock arrived it was dry as a bone. not even a drop in the bottom of the bag. it had no coraline on it at all, and no life whatsoever. it look like someone took a pressure washer to it. liveaqauria offered to send me a 22 pound box to make up for the difference in weight. I told them I wanted a box of what they advertised or dont bother. the second box was the same way. there was a 12 pound rock and a 5 pound rock, no coraline and no life. I didnt have the time to bother anymore.

3 months later there is still no coraline and no other growths at all. here are some pics taken right out of the box.

http://http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/3/2/2/drumsliverock004.jpg

http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/3/2/2/drumsliverock005.jpg

this pic isnt even the rubble, these were the bigger pieces that I pulled out of the rubble to put in my refugium.

http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/3/2/2/drumsliverock008.jpg

thefishguy3
04/29/2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the posts!

Well, this has helped me make up my mind...

No Lalo from the Drs. for me...

Thanks again.

:eek2:

Brent Thomann
04/30/2006, 12:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7274585#post7274585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thefishguy3
Thanks for the posts!

Well, this has helped me make up my mind...

No Lalo from the Drs. for me...

Thanks again.

:eek2: I wouldn't let that discourage you from ordering from them. I will only order from dr fosters not only because of there great quality (most of the time) but more importantly their awesome customer service. They correct things unlike most other company's. And I also never had a issue like this with them, knock on wood! No I don't work for them either.

ironman2
04/30/2006, 08:31 AM
I cant speak for the rest of liveaquarias products, everything else may be fine. they made the comment that they dont ever see the live rock, its shipped straight from the supplier, which limits there ability to rate there rock. I think they probly know theres a problem but havent dealt with it. I dont underestand why they dont change there add in there catalog or straighten out the problem with there supplier. this isnt a isolated incident. the rock we are recieving is all the same stuff months apart.
they did have good customer service, but not great. at first I felt like they thought I was trying to get something for nothing.

dfs/la2
04/30/2006, 12:04 PM
Thank you for your post. Our aquatics team will be available to respond to posts from 9am-4pm CST Monday-Friday. For questions or concerns regarding your order, please contact us at 1-800-334-3699 (8am-10pm CST) or email us at CustomerService@LiveAquaria.com. Thank you.

bkv1997
04/30/2006, 06:22 PM
I have ordered from dr.fosters and liveaquaria in the past all the dry goods and fish I have recieved in the past were excellent. The customer service is awesome, but like iron said when I called on the rock the first person I spoke with almost seemed like I was making something up, even though they were agreeing to try an make it better. Just didn't feel like a we really believe you type thing I guess... The person that called me after seeing the pictures was top notch.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again, but I might think twice about a live rock order. As Iron also pointed out I was also told that the rock came from a completely seperate location than everything else.

I also noted someone posted the day before me on the exact same thing... Either way they are sending me a 30 pound box of lalo for my troubles... I'll be sure to post pics here of that shipment as well and people can make their own minds up about the quality based on the pictures.

Check back Thursday or Friday of this week for my follow up pics.

Brandon

thefishguy3
04/30/2006, 08:28 PM
Well, that’s all great, but they didn't do anything about it until both of you sent pics of the rock in.

I don't want to, nor should I, have to go out and buy a digital camera, take pics, email them, all to get the kind of live rock I originally ordered...

Just the way I look at it...

Live Aq
05/01/2006, 10:59 AM
Thank you for all of your feedback. The customer input we receive on this forum or via any means of correspondence is beneficial as we are continually learning and looking for ways in which we may improve.

When ordering Live Rock we are hopeful you will take into consideration that there will be variations in the coloration, density, size, and shape. This has to do with the different locations in Fiji of exactly what areas are selected to harvest the rock from. Some rock is denser, where other rock is more porous, etc. Rock that is less dense and is very porous makes ideal rock for the reef aquarium where water can flow easily around and through the rock itself. Knowing this, less dense rock can break during transit when mishandled by the carrier. By looking at the image provided with the rubble at the bottom of the box, it appears that the Styrofoam shipping box was cracked and damaged as there is still a piece of the Styrofoam under the rubble. I can assure you that we do not package rubble in any of our rock that is shipped, nor do we ship tiny, undersized pieces.

Based on a comment on this thread, it seems some misinformation was provided. Prior to shipping rock from our facility, we take the extra steps to re-hydrate and re-package all of our live rock in our insulated shipping box, with 1” thick Styrofoam and corrugated cardboard in order to protect the rock from the elements, as well as cushion it during transit. This process is unlike most of our competition that just puts a sticker in the outside of the original shipping box from Fiji or Tonga and sends the rock on its way. We feel that it is important to take the time to unpack the rock once it hits our holding facility, and then re-hydrate and repackage this rock as needed into an insulated shipping box so that the rock will be protected as opposed to just shipping in a wax coated corrugated box which originates from Fiji or Tonga. Due to some of the breakage issues as of late we are looking for alternative packaging methods to ensure less rubble and breakage caused by handling in shipping.

Our agents on the telephone do not personally see each box of live rock nor every fish, but I can assure you that the manager and his trained staff of professionals at our holding facility make sure that all of our orders are packaged with the utmost care.

I apologize a couple of you had these poor experiences; please understand this is not typical. As we have reiterated many times, if you are ever dissatisfied with any order you have received from us, do not hesitate to email or call us with your order details and we will be glad to find resolution to your concerns.

Cindy S.
Live Aquaria.com

bkv1997
05/01/2006, 12:26 PM
Cindy:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The reason the Styrofoam is at the bottom was due to my trying to get the styrofoam container out of the box. The lid to the container was taped on extremely well, the box was on the floor and I tried lifting the inner styro boxup and due to the weight I just lifted the outer part of the box the styrofoam bottom stayed in place. The box itself was in perfect condition when I picked it up from fedex.

1) Crushed or not the weight of rock in a box will not change. So how come my box only weighed 40 pounds? The fact that you charge per pound to ship makes this even more frustrating. $6.45 in shipping on the five pounds I was shorted.

2) Both me and iron both had similar experiences, plus the person that posted this post http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=832425 only the day before. 80-90% coraline algea broken or not still isn't present on the shipment of rock. As long as you use this picture in your add and say 80-90% coraline growth, but a customer gets the second picture. I wouldn't be suprised if you don't start seeing more unhappy live rock customers.
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20040422222235/www.liveaquaria.com/images/products/large/p_90024.jpg
The purple stuff on the rocks in the above picture and the purple stuff on my rocks seen at http://www.tuckervolner.com/fishtank.htm is what I consider coralline algea.

Where fedex/ups might be partially to blame and we won't ever know what truley happened that caused the rubble, the fact is the two issues listed above need to be looked into by liveaquaria.

I am a big fan of liveaquaria, but this response is the same reason I was upset when I originally called customer service. The customer service was willing to listen and even send me some more, but the problem was with Fedex, UPS, or my expectations, never the product.

Hopefully liveaquaria will take the time to investigate the issue further.

Brandon

DFS/LA1
05/01/2006, 01:54 PM
bkv1997

Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns. The feedback we receive from all of our customers is of great value to us as it allows us to examine any areas that may need improvement. We at Live Aquaria are committed to 100% customer satisfaction. Thank you for your recent comments and be assured that situations such as these will be fully investigated.

Suzy S
Live Aquaria

bkv1997
05/01/2006, 02:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7283911#post7283911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DFS/LA1
We at Live Aquaria are committed to 100% customer satisfaction. Thank you for your recent comments and be assured that situations such as these will be fully investigated.

Suzy S
Live Aquaria

Suzy:

Thanks for the response. I know you guys will look into it and the customer service is great. I recieved a call at home within 24 hours and have had two responses here...

Thanks again
Brandon

thefishguy3
05/01/2006, 02:33 PM
First rule of customer service - Don't make excuses, just make it right.

:fish1:

bkv1997
05/01/2006, 03:02 PM
Fishguy they did offer to make it right from the very beginning, I guess what is right is just up for debate.

They were going to send me more rock, so if more rock was all i wanted then this would have been over already. The issue started when I said I didn't want anymore rock if it was going to look like the rock I just recieved.

I have been told the rock i'm being sent is their best. I honestly hope this box was just a mistake and until I get the new box on thursday I'll will hold back any further comments.. I promise to post very detailed pics either way though, good or bad.

goda
05/01/2006, 06:41 PM
just wanted to say. that is the same as my lr looks like and i too had a whole bunch of rubble. and the rock was dry (at least figi)
but they did make it right ( money back) ill order from them again but just wont be ordering liverock. from now on i think ill just drive up to TBS and pick out hte good stuff

live aquria you should take new pics ( or use the picts on this forum) to show the live rock cause as much as i hate to praise my LFS the rock at my lfs that has spent several weeks in a boxs had better colors then what you guys shipped.
altho on your lalu rock there was alot of yellow and green. i really hope it spreads to the rest of the rock
have any of you ever ordered livestock from them ( fish or coral)
on a really good note. the lalo rubble i put in my refuge already has pods on it ( 4 days in tank)

bkv1997
05/02/2006, 05:56 AM
Yes I have ordered from them and our club has even ordered a couple group orders from them always a great experience...

My last live order consisted of three dragon face pipefish. All of which lived, but one. He found the SEIO pump intake :(, which had nothing to do with the quality, etc.

Brandon

bkv1997
05/02/2006, 06:03 AM
goda:

Hope you don't mind if i put a couple of your pics on this thread... Would just like to be able to get a good number of pics.

From your Godas red house.

"Live rock is here
not what i wanted but liveaquaria made things right. i definitly recomend them! ( www.liveaquaria.com )"

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/astreafish/c25a2378.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/astreafish/a8ebb42c.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/astreafish/34d23623.jpg

SPStoner
05/02/2006, 07:57 AM
Here's a link to some pictures of the rock I got from L.A

I was extremely satisfied with it and will order again.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=627995&highlight=spstoner

bkv1997
05/02/2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for those SPStoner.

Was that the Premium Hand selected figi?

Brandon

SPStoner
05/02/2006, 09:37 AM
I think so. It was a gift, so I'm not exactly sure what was ordered, but it sure did come in nice.

HTH

bkv1997
05/02/2006, 09:49 AM
SPStoner:

I just got my second call from LA customer service. No doubt they are top notch.

I hope the second box proves the first was a mistake.

Brandon

ironman2
05/02/2006, 05:09 PM
Im interested to see what happens as well . its odd to me that it was like pulling teeth for me just to get a 2nd box just to make up the weight they shorted me, which I still ended up not getting a full 45 pounds. and the second box was the same quality stuff. they never offered to send me lalo rock.
I hope If nothing else this will change there policy of descibing there rock, or change the quality of the rock they are sending out.
I would love to some day read posts that their rock is what they described. maybe then I would consider doing buissness again.

thefishguy3
05/02/2006, 10:18 PM
Well, of course Brandon, I can probably assure you that you will get some very nice live rock now.

Unless they are idiots, I am sure your order has now gotten "special attention".

After several phone calls, messages, emails, pictures, and posts on here, I am sure you will get what you were supposed to get in the first place...

But who wants to have to go through all that?

:confused:

bkv1997
05/03/2006, 09:13 AM
One would hope, but I got the feeling even after talking with them it was not the coralline as to why they were replacing it it was because of the rubble and the weight.

Even as nice as they have been, it is really why I posted the pics here. Does anyone think the pictures I posted is 80-90% coralline covered or even close?

I honestly suspect I'll get another box with bigger pieces, but the growth coverage will be the exact same.

We will know tomorrow.
Brandon

SPStoner
05/03/2006, 04:29 PM
Hey Brandon,

I think there is more corraline than you think on the rock in the pictures you posted. I can see quite a bit of it, actually. Corraline algae does lose quite a bit of color when it is out of water for any length of time. Typically, you will have most of it recover within 4 weeks or so in a properly balanced aquarium.

In this picture, I can see almost 90% of the rock covered by coralline that will color back up to pink and purple under the right conditions. I know people expect to get rock that is completely purple and pink right out of the box, but it almost always does not come in that way.

Just to illustrate my point, take a powerhead encrusted with corraline out of your tank and let it sit covered with a damp paper towel, for a day or two. I guarantee the coralline turns almost completely white.

Just my 2 cents. FWIW, corraline is overrated anyway. I spend a good two hours every week trying to get it OFF the glass on my tanks, a real PITA!!!

Anyway, I am sure that Liveaquaria will make sure you are satisfied. They are the best in the business.

Tony

bkv1997
05/03/2006, 08:10 PM
Maybe I'm just spoiled then our LFS sells LR that is completely purple like the ones in the pictures.....

I guess maybe I was just expecting a better deal. As I could have bought it in atlanta hand picked for 5.99 a pound... A bit more in price, but then again not 1.59 in shipping.

I personally disagree that it is 90% in coralline and if I have to wait 4-6 weeks for it to be that way, that makes no sense.... I can put lace rock in my tank that will be covered in 6-8 weeks. So i guess the issue is if the product would have been marketed as you will have 90% coverage 6 weeks after you buy it... Then I would have went with the cheapest and not paid extra for the rock with growth.

Oh well different expectations by differend people I guess.... I would do as thefishguy suggested though... post pictures of what the product will look like when it arrives, not how it is going to look after sitting in your tank with the right calcium/alkalinity and lighting for 4 to 6 weeks.

Start shipping people brown acros that will turn blue in 6-8 weeks and see how many people go for that... Same thing in my book.

Brandon

ironman2
05/03/2006, 09:08 PM
As far as Im concerned once coraline dies its no longer coraline, it becomes part of the rock. As far as I understand once it dies its dead, new coraline may grow back quicker on its old skeletin. like brandon said, in the local fish stores we call that stuff base rock. the issue is: this is labeled hand picked by our staff, select, 80 - 90 percent coraline coverage rock. by that description I expect to get at a minimum better rock than I can get locally. cause the rock the local stores get isnt hand picked or garantied to have any coraline coverage.
Its a advertising problem. they have done a excellent job of listing everthing a reef adict wants to get in one package. and its a big let down when nothing about the rock is as described.

BadOleRoss
05/04/2006, 05:25 AM
Over the last several months I have ordered about 400lbs of LR from LA. For the most part the rock has looked pretty darn good. I have found that I get better rock when I order the 90# large rock box instead of the 45# box. My last several boxes have had great coraline and really nice shapes. I did however receive an 8" sponge that I feel should not have been on precured rock. Overall, I would order from them again.

bkv1997
05/04/2006, 07:53 PM
Well here are the follow up pics, as I promised.

I was suppose to get 30 pounds of lalo rock as compensation for the bad rock I initially recieved. Heres what I recieved.

On the weight Issue.
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0276.JPG

Ok the box had some damage from shipping so I took pictures before opening it. Even cut the cardboard off to see if hte styrofoam took damage from Fedex.
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0275.JPG
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0277.JPG

Pictures of the rock coming in the next post.

To be continued....

bkv1997
05/04/2006, 08:08 PM
Pictures of the Rocks.
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0278.JPG
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0279.JPG
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0280.JPG
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0282.JPG
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0283.JPG
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0284.JPG
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0285.JPG
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0286.JPG

Rubble in the bottom of the box.
http://www.livingreefs.com/gallery/files/1/9/4/DSCF0287.JPG

All I can say is WOW... you should see them now after the sand etc was washed off...LA for sure made it right. If I ever had to order more LR I would defintly give LA another try on LR..

Thanks LA for making this better. I can honestly say this was way more than I expected. Thanks again and I'll be ordering again soon.

Thanks
Brandon

RevHtree
05/04/2006, 08:11 PM
That's why I love LA. If they make a mistake, which happens to every company, they REALLY make it right.

I have lost two live items over my ordering history with them. Both times they made it right no questions asked.

ironman2
05/04/2006, 08:16 PM
It looks alot better, you can definatly see the coraline, and theres more life on it. there also appears to be alot les rubble.
Just for the record though. this still isnt what you get when you order the select figi right? that was there more expensive uncured lalo rock they sent you for your trouble. So we still dont know what well get when we order. but I guess they did make it right even if you had to deal with the problems.

Thanks live aquaria for taking care of this! I will consider ordering again, but probly still not the liverock.

bkv1997
05/04/2006, 08:20 PM
Good point Iron it isn't the same rock....

I would like to know what a good order of it looks like for future reference.

Just so you know the Lalo is a little more dense, which probably helps with shipping breaks etc...

I don't think I could have asked for anything more though on this issue.

Brandon

pufferpoison
05/08/2006, 01:58 PM
i had a problem with LA with my first batch, but also had a problem with another company. After talking with a CR from LA, they replaced the box and WOW it's the best rock you can imagine. Mine looks alot like the stuff pictured above.
THey do have the best CS in the business.

AquaticFanatic
05/09/2006, 04:15 AM
I just ordered 30 lbs of lalo select live rock from liveaquaria.com, it's supposed to come in Thursday. i'm hoping for the best. I will understand some die-off because of how long it's going to take to ship.
I do have to say anything is better than my LFS! I swear the rocks in my garden have more life on them than my LFS! The pics above look magnificent compared to this stuff. I bought 25 lbs. the man soaked a brown paper bag and wrapped it up. The live rock had nothing live about it. It was as bare as any ordinary rock. My dad couldn't understand why they called it live rock.

So anywho, I'm hoping the stuff from liveaquaria will be better.

i'll keep you posted

jetaero
05/15/2006, 01:46 PM
I've gotten the fiji live rock before... It came in perfect, and very moist for me. I used the 2 day service. I don't believe I had any rubble, and all the pieces were 6"+.

As well, every rock on the reef doesn't have corraline on it. In fact, most of the rock I see now days, doesn't have much corraline at all on it, but it certainly isn't hard to grow in the aquarium.

-Josh

ironman2
05/15/2006, 08:44 PM
hey josh, glad to hear you got a good shipment.
As for your comments on the coraline, I agree. but the point is they advertise 80 - 90% coverage. Like BKV said would you be happy if you paid for a super color acropora and it came to you brown and someone said someday it will color up? The point has been that there advertisement is inacurate. But it is good to hear someone got a good shipment.

Danfish
05/22/2006, 11:51 PM
I'm placing an order for the select figi right now.
Hope to get it in on Thursday.

I'll be sure to take pictures to show what it looks like.
Here is to hoping its a good shipment.

usmcwife
05/22/2006, 11:55 PM
Hey Danfish~
Cant wait to see the pics! I will be ordering some LR from them soon as well.

Danfish
05/23/2006, 01:35 PM
Package has left Hawthorn CA and is in transit.
Estimated to arive mid day tomorow.

:bounce3:

usmcwife
05/23/2006, 03:45 PM
Whoohooo! I hope its an awesome shipment for you!

Danfish
05/24/2006, 11:38 AM
Rocks are in, over all I am fairly satisfied.
2 very large 12" rock.
3 medium 4-8" rocks.
Several small 2-4" rocks
And a small ammount of rubble.

All the rocks arrived damp, only some edges were completely dried.
I'd estimate right now that at least 50-70% of the rocks are covered with coraline, granted its not to easy to see in some places so there may be more once the sand and whatnot comes off.
There is large evidence of a large ammount of other life still on/in the rocks, so they are very nice live rocks.

Here comes pics.

Large rocks.
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14313202881.jpg

I love the shapre of this one.
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14313260370.jpg

Medium Rocks.
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14313233051.jpg
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14313274250.jpg
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14313295593.jpg

Smaller rocks & Rubble
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14313314941.jpg
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14313331716.jpg
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14313344591.jpg

I used next day shipping. It was only a difrence of like $12 so I went for it. Might have made a difrence since some of the edges were starting to dry out, but the mass was still damp/wet.

Over all I am pleased. I got what they advertised. Not a terrible ammount of rubble in the botom, and the pieces are quite fragile, one broke as I was trying to take it out of the box, nothing major but it goes to show how delicate it really is.

I used a flash in the pictures, which tends to wash out alot of the color, there is a ton of green coraline and such all over the pieces. I've spotted several clams (dead of course) sponges and other fauna. Will be interesting to see what comes out after the curing process.

Thanks Live Aquaria. :up:
Will be using you again.

usmcwife
05/24/2006, 11:53 AM
Looks good!
I love the shape of that second rock too! How many pounds did you order? Are you curing this in an empty aquarium? Or in a tub?

dfs/la2
05/24/2006, 11:56 AM
Danfish,

Thank you for your post and your recent order. We are happy to hear your experience was a positive one. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our Live Aquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at customerservice@liveaquaria.com and we will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.

Michelle H.
Drs. Foster & Smith, Live Aquaria

bkv1997
05/24/2006, 12:01 PM
Glad to see others getting good product.......

LA has great service.. Mistakes will happen, but when they are corrected no one can complain.

Danfish
05/24/2006, 12:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7429586#post7429586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by usmcwife
Looks good!
I love the shape of that second rock too! How many pounds did you order? Are you curing this in an empty aquarium? Or in a tub?

Its even more pretty standing up. It looks like its a dead coral skelliton so it has tons of holes and nooks, is oval shaped (fairly large around) and is just nifty. :D

45 pounds ordered, but I think that includes the weight of the water and packaging, so its probably more around ~40 pounds of rock. I don't have a scale so I couldn't measure.

I'm curing it in a rubber tub, I don't have a second tank, not even for QT :( Altho I am hoping to upgrade to a 180-250 gal display in 6mo or so, so eventualy my 65gal will be the QT.
The skimmer in the tub is working its little heart out. Only been up and going for about 2 hours and already I have a full cup of nasty.

Thanks to Live Aquaria for reading here and responding. Its nice to be in touch with the people you do business with. Makes you like a nice litte part of my extended aquarium family.

Beemo
05/27/2006, 03:08 PM
i just placed my order yesterday for 45# select premium fiji
it should arrive next week, ill post pictures when i receive it.
ive been ordering from them for about 6 months now, corals etc
i ordered some koi a few weeks ago, 3 died but they gave me credit...i used it towards my live rock purchase so im happy :)
the corals i got from them are still doing great, and looked great from day one.
some of the koi are just breath taking and really healthy, i just hope the live rock is ok...these posts have me worried lol

bkv1997
05/30/2006, 06:19 AM
I just wanted to follow up and say thank you to LA.

Not only did they make my specific issue better by shipping me more rock, they have now updated the website with what I consider would be an appropriate description of the rock I recieved.

They even placed some pictures that are a better representation of what you actually recieve on the details screen and the more info page.

"""is 70-90% covered in Coralline algae on the top or show side of each piece. A small amount of rubble may be present upon receipt of the box as this is normal and is a result of transportation. The rubble can help to seed new aquariums, or can be added to the refugium to establish hiding places for copepods and other micro-fauna. """

Thanks again
Brandon

Divedog
05/31/2006, 02:58 PM
It is very interesting to see the differences in the rock or how the expectations of the rock very from person to person.

My order should be received tomorrow. It was 45lbs. of select Fiji and 24lbs of Tonga branch. This is my first reef tank so I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised tomorrow when the rock arrives.

I'll have a few photos of each to post after it is received.

Beemo
05/31/2006, 03:11 PM
my liverock is due tomorrow by 3pm, i cant wait, i hope its ok :)
this morning i received 8 dwarf hermits, 3 cerith snails, 3 narite snails and a beautiful platinum koi.
everyone is alive and well. the hermits started grazing so fast that it was almost funny lol

Divedog
06/01/2006, 11:58 AM
My rock just arrived (at work), however, I took a peak at what was inside. So far it looks great. The Tonga was overweight by 11lbs. and the color was super (pink, purple, orange, green algaes). The fiji was pretty much the same with some added macros. Neither box appears to have much rubble. I wont know that for another 4 hours until I get home from work though. Thus far I have no complaints.

Beemo
06/01/2006, 01:47 PM
got mine this morning :) :) :)
45# select premium fiji
its beautiful...i never thought id say rocks were beautiful before but dang they look good lol
nice huge peices too, macro algae and all sorts of goodies, coriline too
as for the rubble, very little, a half a cup if even that, its def the full 45lbs
no peices broke
thanks live aquaria :)

bkv1997
06/01/2006, 02:17 PM
would love to see some pics....

Beemo
06/01/2006, 02:33 PM
gonna get em up tonight :)

i put them in the tank right away, its like a race trying to keep it moist as possible lol
pics will be coming shortly

bkv1997
06/01/2006, 02:36 PM
you didn't cure them?

Beemo
06/01/2006, 02:42 PM
nah
i cure in the tank...theres nothing in it but sand and reef base rocks
these rocks were pretty clean too, just a few stuff floating around nothing major
there was a nice big spaghetti type worm, he was alive for a little while but he died soon after i put him in the tank :(
he was on the rock that i left out the longest too, guess he was in the air too long...i didnt know anybody was on it

Beemo
06/01/2006, 02:49 PM
heres pics i just took now...i may change the setup since i put the rocks in so fast i didnt give much thought on design

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/ewyourpoor/100_1627.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/ewyourpoor/100_1624.jpg

bkv1997
06/01/2006, 05:37 PM
nice looking pieces...

RCS
06/02/2006, 11:34 AM
Keep in mind as well that not all coralline algae is PURPLE coralline algae. A brown acro isn't any less an acro than a blue one, right? ;)

Glad to hear they fixed your issue though.

bkv1997
06/02/2006, 11:53 AM
Always nice to see an old friend pipe up on your thread..

HEHE

Hows WI Fred?

"A brown acro isn't any less an acro than a blue one, right"

I just paid 120 for an amazing blue stag from cap bay... I have a couple brown colonies i'll let go for 110 even if you believe the above is true. HEHE

BTW if you ever run across anymore of those maroon blastos with the yellow ring please PM me.... i can't believe that colony fell in the shrooms.

Thanks again for all your help with the club here locally.
Brandon

RCS
06/03/2006, 11:38 PM
Some of my nicest acros have been browned-out bargains, so I just may take any brown ones you have. :D

WI is...well, WI. It's not bad. Keeping busy with work and all, setting up more tanks, same old same old. I sent you a PM as well when you have a minute.