PDA

View Full Version : ID this Red Algae please

CoMMaNdeR
04/29/2006, 11:35 AM
ID this Red Algae please? It is growing alot in the refugium only, there is nothing similar to it in the Main tank. Is it good or bad to have in the fuge?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112839185.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112839186.JPG

Amerio
04/29/2006, 12:15 PM
Is that Cotton Algea maybe?

CoMMaNdeR
04/29/2006, 03:34 PM
Can anyone help me ID this please ?

sjfishguy
04/29/2006, 03:43 PM
I just started to have that crap growing in my tank too. I hate it and have never seen it before, I am tagging along for an answer.....

Samala
04/29/2006, 06:53 PM
I think this thread will help you out with ideas on how to control this algae and prevent its spread to other areas in the system - Nightmare Red Cotton Algae: Took Over My Tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=745530), an older one from the macro forum.

Unfortunately ID of these kinds of 'cottony' reds is pretty much impossible at hobbyist level. We'd need extreme closeups of the detail of the fronds and even then its a total guessing game between at least twenty genus of red 'cottony' like alga. Differences being apparently between the reproductive structures at that point. (Yawn, right? :)) Rhodophyta are always the hardest to ID.

Anywho, even without knowing its precise name, you should be able to get the upper hand. I wish you luck!

>Sarah

CoMMaNdeR
04/29/2006, 11:31 PM
On what do they feed guys? I should pull them out right ?

Samala
04/30/2006, 02:16 AM
I would pull it out, yes, but read threw the thread I linked above first to be sure thats a good course of action. (Cant really see why not, but I havent dealt with this in person.) I would not advise scrubbing the LR clean of this alga while in the tank itself.. this will spread spores.

Like all algae, this one will be feeding off of nutrients in the system, forms of nitrogen, phosphorus, and a slew of micronutrients, including calcium, iron, magnesium, etc.

>Sarah

melev
04/30/2006, 04:07 AM
Here you go: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/nftt/index.htm

CoMMaNdeR
04/30/2006, 05:21 AM
Like I said this algae is in my refugium, so I am not worried alot, even though if I will see it in the main tank I will be alot worried. Today I pulled it out from my fuge, tried my best but there are still few small patches that I couldn't take out with my hand.

From the links you gave me guys it seems that the mexican turbos will do the job and they are the only method people have tried succesfully.

Is there any other method I can use for helping my fuge eliminate this red algae ? I was thinking to use a phosphate removal or something like that. What do you think guys ?

mm949
04/30/2006, 11:37 AM
i had the same problem and found the id julians sprungs algae book...it IS a macro plant that starts out as red hair turning into a Gorgeous plant...the hair stage for me lasted about 4-6weeks before i started to see it morph into a plant...like most algaes if water is on the mark they normally burn them selves out after removing whatever nuttrient they are using for nurishment...
good luck...

CoMMaNdeR
08/22/2006, 11:24 AM
Guys, this damn cotton algae is still in my tank. I didn't bought mexican turbo snails yet like many suggest because the LFS didn't import yet, but I wish to know if there is something that I can do or if there is a slug or invert that can eat this stuff?

Right now I put a Sea Hare aplysia.sp and hope that he will help me and eat that cotton algae

What do you think?

Amphiprion
08/22/2006, 12:13 PM
Eek, Asparagopsis. mm949, the gametophyte is very attractive, but the sporophyte stage is murder. The store where I work had/has an infested tank. The only way we reduced the numbers was to scrub/remove it and keep nutrients low. The latter doesn't help that much, as this alga is very tolerant of lower levels, but it doesn't hurt. Some have reported that mexican turbos eat the stuff, but I haven't seen too much validity/consistency in that claim. I don't think the usual Aplysiid would eat it, but you never know.

CoMMaNdeR
08/22/2006, 12:19 PM
This cotton algae is only in my fuge, along with chaeto and caulerpa. Honestly the chaeto and caulerpa have some parts covered with the cotton algae and I am worrying that will eat my microalgae.

Like I said I don't have turbo snails to put in there, and I will take a chance with my Sea hare and see what will it do.

One time I introduced a seaweed in my fuge and on it came out 2 small slugs, one of them was red very similar to the sea hare. After a week they ate alot of the cotton algae but unfortunately they both dissapeared and I don't know what were exactly, I mean the species.

I am trying to manually remove this stuff but it is nearly impossible because when you touch it and try to pull it out it breaks in small pieces...

jdieck
08/22/2006, 12:26 PM
I use Pacific Mexican Turbos to keep it in line. They can completely clean up a 55 gal in just a couple of weeks.
Whatever is in the chaeto you need to remove by hand together with some of the chaeto as the snails will not be able to reach it.

Amphiprion
08/22/2006, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7989484#post7989484 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoMMaNdeR

I am trying to manually remove this stuff but it is nearly impossible because when you touch it and try to pull it out it breaks in small pieces...

Yes, and I understand your frustration. I know this is difficult, but you need to minimize breakage at this point--siphon if you have to. At this life stage, this alga can reproduce from the broken pieces.

Travis L. Stevens
08/22/2006, 02:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7989537#post7989537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
I use Pacific Mexican Turbos to keep it in line. They can completely clean up a 55 gal in just a couple of weeks.
Whatever is in the chaeto you need to remove by hand together with some of the chaeto as the snails will not be able to reach it.

Tons of great information in this thread. Good luck with your battle. Unfortunately, it will ALWAYS be in your tank even if you can't see it. I have to agree that a Mexican Turbo Snail munches this stuff down like candy.

sjfishguy
08/22/2006, 04:34 PM
I just got a pair of Trochus snails and these guys eat everything! They have eaten the cotton algae and even large patches of hair algae. My tank is almost totally algae free, and they dont touch my macro. Check them out.

Travis L. Stevens
08/22/2006, 04:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7991410#post7991410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjfishguy
I just got a pair of Trochus snails and these guys eat everything! They have eaten the cotton algae and even large patches of hair algae. My tank is almost totally algae free, and they dont touch my macro. Check them out.

You're very lucky. My Trochus never touched it. Yet, I've had three Mexican Turbo Snails from different times and from different LFSs, and all three have eaten it.