PDA

View Full Version : How am I doing?

Mmarino55
04/29/2006, 01:39 PM
Well right now in my tank i have the perfect water perms. ect.
I just added a few turbos ( two Big, two fairly small-medium) and they are doing a great job.

My tank has cycled for a little while now ( five months) and i only lost a yellow tang due to a fight ( my fault never new yellow and damsel whould fight)

What is my next step? I want to go reef, money isnt much of an issue i just have to know what lighting i should use and how much live rock and what kind in a 28 gal bow front.

also what will i need skimmer wise and such. If any one has ever heard of country critters tell me about them iwas reffeard by them by pros and i go there all the time they have a wonderful collection of fish/tanks/reefs and other rare oddities

so basicly i need to know:

1. How much live rock for 28 Gal

2. What lighting and how much. Also aprox cost

3. Tell me what else i may have to know!

thank you:)

phenom5
04/29/2006, 02:26 PM
i would go with ~25-30 lbs of LR, but it depends on the density & type of LR. a lot of people will suggest more, but personally i like to make the best use of my rock possible. the best way to do that, IMO, is to use less rock that is a little more open. that way you get more water flowing over the surface of the rock.

lighting all depends on what you want to keep. MH or T5's if you want SPS or clams, otherwise you could go with PC's, VHO's, T5's if you want to go LPS, softies, zoas, shrooms. since you said money is not a problem...i'd go with MH. 250W DE. i'd go with the DE instead of the SE b/c they run a little cooler. of course it depends if your going with an open-top w/ pendant or a retro in a hood.

spend money on a good skimmer.

HTH

Sk8r
04/29/2006, 02:31 PM
Ditto the sump, skimmer and lights. Price the ballasts: they're killer. MH will let you keep most anything with adequate rock arrangement: when you're setting up, arrange a little shade for sensitive specimens, also for any fish to get relief from the brights. I use 250 w mh with my 52, with 4 actinics for dawn/sunset.
You'll want the following test kits for sps: magnesium, alkalinity, calcium, refractometer. Heater. Up north as you are, a fan should be enough to keep the tank cool in summer, one hopes. HTH.