PDA

View Full Version : T5 lights for a 180

TracyZeuner
05/01/2006, 09:59 AM
I am starting a new 180 semi-reef tank. I have been reading all the post on lighting and have decided I want to go with the T5's because of less heat and less electricity.
I think I will be going with Ice Caps and use a reflector.How many bulbs and at what wattage would I need to start my semi-reef(I want to start slow at first and see if I like it and can handle the up-keep). I have a 60gal that has been set up for about 2 years with clown, wrasse. and a small blue spot grouper. There are some mushrooms a candy cane and some polyps.
How far above the water should I mount the lights. I will probably make my own hood and need to know how tall to make it. Thanks again for your help.

Ten33
05/01/2006, 11:28 AM
I am assuming that your tank is the same size as the 180 I am working on now. (72x24x24) I am planning on starting out with 6 (80W) bulbs utilizing individual parabolic reflectors. The bulbs are almost 60 inches long, and can be slightly staggered. Or, you can go with two sets of 36 inch bulbs, at 39w each. I currently use T5s on my 55 gal mostly softie reef tank, and I love them. I keep my bulbs approx 6 inches from the surface of the water.

mcegelsk
05/01/2006, 11:32 AM
You can check out this thread which is very detailed and includes my questions to one of the more knowledgeable light guys, Grim Reefer. ~Matt

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=809797

TracyZeuner
05/01/2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks Ten33
You are right, the tank is 72x24x24. With those lights, will I be able to grow most softies. Is a clam out of the question? I have been reading all the post on these lights and wanted to know if you are going to use the IC660 or another ballast? Will you be using a fan to keep things cool under your hood. My tank will be here in a week and I am starting to buy all the rest of my stuff. It seem my next major purchase will be the light.
I also here people taking about "melting" shrooms and stuff. Will this be too much light and will it reach the bottom.

TracyZeuner
05/01/2006, 11:52 AM
What is the difference between a parabolic reflector and an individual reflector?

Ten33
05/02/2006, 02:38 PM
I am unsure about using the Icecap ballasts. I know that they will overdrive the HO T5s, and some believe this will shorten the overall bulb life. I would plan on using a couple of fans in the canopy.

Wryknow
05/02/2006, 03:00 PM
I have the 8 x 39W bulb set-up in my 215 (I also have a couple of 6' VHOs to supplement the blue spectrum) and they are very bright. A clam should be fine IMHO - especially if it's higher up in the tank.

Parabolic reflector desribes the shape of the reflector and individual reflector describes that it is for only one bulb. The Icecap reflectors are individual reflectors and parabolic reflectors (the shape is that of a parabola.)

Plan on putting some fans into the canopy to help keep the bulb temps down. According to ICECAP that is a major factor in determining what your useful bulb life will be.