PDA

View Full Version : Quick I.D please.

mark97r6
05/01/2006, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,

Found this crawling across a cabbage coral. Took it out and put it in a glass beaker.

So the question is, do i put it back in the tank?

Its about 10mm long, kinda snail looking. Really nice but what is it?

Cheers guys.
Mark

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/562/81040DSC00137.JPG http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/562/81040DSC00138.JPG http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/562/81040DSC00139.JPG

SDguy
05/01/2006, 03:37 PM
nudibranch. Anything of similar color/texture in your tank? Might be it's food source/origin into your tank.

rustybucket145
05/01/2006, 04:01 PM
I would say nudi. Like SD guy said is there anything in your tank that mimics the coloration of the nudi? If not, have you added any new corals/liverock recently?

If the nudi does mimic a coloration/formation of coral in your tank I would suggest closely inspecting the coral for other nudi's

SDguy
05/01/2006, 09:29 PM
Actually, looking more closely at it....is it hard or soft to the touch? It could be one of those cowrie type snails, where the mantle actually covers the shell when fully expanded. Just another thought...

skylar
05/01/2006, 10:49 PM
Is that a trunk sticking out from under a shell in the front? Does it have a shell? If it has a shell and a trunk I would say its a Conch of some sort. Some are good some are bad, like everythinmg else in this hobby. Since it was on the cabbage coral inspect that peace and the ones next to it very closely and see if you can locate a tissue that has been eaten away. Good luck, I'm sure someone will be able to id better...

Airman
05/01/2006, 11:11 PM
IMO I would keep it until I saw signs of damage. It might a cool addition to your tank.

adtravels
05/02/2006, 12:50 AM
cowrie
did you buy it with a dendrophyta
they eat this family very nice but predatory

melev
05/02/2006, 03:36 AM
It is a beauty, and reminds me of a cowrie or nassarius based on the foot and tissue over what appears to be a shell, as well as the 'nose'. I've got no idea if it is safe or not, but I'd love to find out what you eventually determine.

MDKyleZ
05/02/2006, 03:45 AM
Very intresting looks like a cowrie to me. I would look for more in the aquarium, till you find out.

Kyle

LeslieH
05/02/2006, 08:51 AM
It's an allied cowry, an ovulid. They are host specific predators on soft corals, gorgonians, sea fans, etc. The mantle colors & textures are often an exact match for the polyps of the host. I'd need a better picture of the mantle before trying to put a name on it. If you want to do an image search on google try common generic names like Simnia, Pseudosimnia, Dentiovula, Phenacovolva.

mark97r6
05/03/2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys,
Definetly has a hard cowrie type shell.
the cabbage seems to be fine, though i do have a Dendro of a simular colour. Have not seen anymore of these. really stunning looking, but i cant leave it be untill its I.Ded, dont really think i would come across it again in my 360g reef tank. Its floating in the sump at the mo in a cup. if i let it go in the fuge, can any one see it making its way back up to the tank?

Its a shame to show this guy the porcelin helter skelter!

Thanks again, Leslie thanks for the search help. Will have a look
Mark