PDA

View Full Version : Set up new tank-can I add my stuff?

BillyJoeJimBob
05/01/2006, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone,
I have had a NanoCube 6 gallon for about 3 months and have upgraded to a 20L with a 10 gallon fuge. The new setup uses a CPR CS90 overflow, a Mag7 return pump, and a Remora skimmer. The 10G is baffled and set up as a fuge (nothing in the fuge except for 3" aragonite). I have about 40 lbs of aragonite sand already in.

The new setup has been running for a couple of days. I used RODI water. SG is at 1.025 and the PH is at 8.3. I went ahead and tested and all the other levels for kicks and they are 0. Basically the water parameters match my NanoCube 6 gallon exactly.

I have about 10 lbs of coraline filled live rock I would like to move into the new tank, along with a small cleanup crew (1 turbo snail, 1 astrea, 4 red leg hermits). I have no fish at all in the NC6, so there are no fish to move.

When can I move this stuff over? Do I need to wait or is it safe to go ahead and do it? I also plan to take a couple cups of sand from my NC6 and put it in the new tank as it is full of life.

I do plan to buy another 10 lbs or so of LR (high quality cured) that I will put in the NC6 for a couple weeks before adding it to the 20L. Can I go ahead and move? Will I have any die off or a cycle?

scrmbld33
05/01/2006, 06:08 PM
you can move the rock when your ready, id aclimate the snails and hermits to be safe, you should have little to no amonia spike, aclimate the rock if you have any corals on them

BillyJoeJimBob
05/01/2006, 06:32 PM
I don't have any corals yet. There might be a tiny one or two on the LR (nothing really worth trying to save), but mainly the LR has loads of green, pink, orange, and purple coraline. You think I will have any die off of the coraline?

I am just not sure if I should get new LR and cycle it in the new tank or move everything over and quarantine the new cured LR I get in the little tank...

BillyJoeJimBob
05/01/2006, 06:34 PM
Premium Aquatics is a little more than an hour from my house and I'm planning to drive there later this week to get my LR. I hear they have pretty nice stuff. Gonna get maybe 15 lbs or so.

scrmbld33
05/01/2006, 06:35 PM
the coralline shouldnt die off with a few minutes outta water maybe some bleaching but i doubt it, if you get new rock, cure it seperately, which is always good for catchin bad hitchhikers before they go to the display, plus you could add a fish while the new rock cures :)

BillyJoeJimBob
05/01/2006, 06:40 PM
OK awesome. I got my new Current-USA Sunpod today. (150w 14k halide).

Opening the box now and I'm going to get it on the tank. I think I will move everything over tomorrow. I will put the cleanup crew in a small bucket and drip-acclimate them for an hour or so before adding them.

BTW, the 2 tanks are literally 4 feet away from each other so the rock will only be out of the water for like 10 seconds or so.

Thanks scrmbld33, I appreciate the feedback. :)

scrmbld33
05/01/2006, 06:43 PM
no prob, if you drive to get your rock bring some salt water to bring it home, not neccasary but may help with less die off

BillyJoeJimBob
05/01/2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I planned to mix some RODI water up and put it 5 gallons or so in a large cooler. I was gonna throw all the rock in the cooler for the drive home.

scrmbld33
05/01/2006, 06:53 PM
idid the same for my trip to pacific east aqua culture, but that was a 4 hour trip