PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor ?

dwagner11
05/01/2006, 07:17 PM
I am considering getting a calcium reactor, and was wondering some of your opinions. Which one is a good buy for the money, and what is a routine, or should I say, "ideal" setup for the reactor. I currently have a 75 gallon tank with a w/d filter, phosban reactor, and skimmer, but am also running out of space under my tank, and since I rent, I can't really drill lines through walls. I know this isn't the most ideal setup, but I have been collecting alot of acopora coral since the first of the year, and its such a hassle to constantly monitor calcium, and dose. One other question (kinda elementary, but still unsure), every where I have looked online that sells calcium reactor packages, or components, says that you need to buy the Co2 tank locally, so where do you guys buy, or get these things filled, and on average how much does it cost to fill/refill a Co2 tank? Thanks for your input!

steve the plumb
05/01/2006, 07:49 PM
I would save your money and use randys two part( and also mag supplement )I use it with a dosing unit and it works great.Its very reliable and much cheaper that a reactor.Its up to you but any wich way if you want a reactor you will need a controller and co2 and you will have to fiddle with it.I would go for the koraline I was going to buy that brand but decided on Randy two part instead.A decent reactor package plus controller will cost you at least $800 where as a doser plus chemicals will run you $250 or less.

MrPike
05/01/2006, 10:41 PM
myreefcreations.com has some nice reactors.

C02 bottles can be bought @ welding supply places, costs me 10 bucks to refill my bottle, the bottle cost me 75 bucks. Also any place that sells kegorators for parties. These tanks last a long time, months.

C02 Bottle - $75

MRC-1 reactor - $195

Controller - $100 bucks for milwalkee @ champion lighting, although you could get away with just using a monitor and tweaking your reactor to get a steady effluent ph, then not worry about it.

C02 regulator - $120

Mag 2 pump - $35

So your talkin around 500 bucks for a pretty decent setup.

MrPike

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/02/2006, 05:23 AM
I don't have any specific brand recommendations, but these resources may help you:

Calcium Reactor setup calculator (CaCO3/CO2 reactors)
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/reactor.html

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.htm

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

wong BANTEN
05/02/2006, 09:42 PM
in Ca Reactor,can we replace CO2 gas with H2CO3 liquid (lite)?
because we add CO2 for producing H2CO3...rigth?
more save,no exceeded of CO2,No alga Blooming

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/03/2006, 06:05 AM
There is no such thing as liquid H2CO3. You can get soda water, which is mostly water with some CO2/H2CO3 in it, but that will be hard to engineer a well controlled system that runs steadily.

wong BANTEN
05/03/2006, 02:06 PM
YUP!!!,.....there is NO for 100% H2CO3 (IMPOSIBLE!!),..of course
but,.......I use H2CO3 with 3N (standart solution)..........:D
result,.......NO SATURATED Ca Substrate!.......they DISOLVE!!:smokin:

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/03/2006, 02:23 PM
One could imagine using soda water, if you want, but as I mentioned, I think it would be hard to engineer a constant dose. That solution will outgas CO2 as soon as it is opened.

wong BANTEN
05/03/2006, 11:53 PM
actually is more easy,.....you can design with TOP-UP system also.
mean,...disolve the water with level of H2CO3 with the same concentration of Ca level in the seawater,or more.
I use 400ppm H2CO3,.......and Ca- level.....after disolve them 450ppm,and pH 6-6,5. I assume some Ca form bicarbonate.
the same phylosophy of KALKWASSER but use H2CO3 Solution and Ca SUBSTRATE as a MEDIA.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/04/2006, 06:17 AM
You are talking about manually dissolving CaCO3 in the CO2/water? One can do that, but when I tried it just became a volcano. But if it works for you, that is a fine DIY additive. :)