PDA

View Full Version : Crab Molting

WiscSea
05/01/2006, 07:40 PM
The last few times I've cleaned my tank, I've found what I though were dead Hermit Crabs. Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm finding their discarded skin.

In every case, it just looks like a full set of legs with little else attached.

Can anyone that has seen this please confirm or deny? I should have taken a picture of what I found, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Thanks

scrmbld33
05/01/2006, 07:42 PM
hermits do molt so its def possible, are any hermits mia? if all are accounted for then its def a molt, also molts look almost see through

fsa
05/01/2006, 07:54 PM
Sounds like molting to me.

Frank

WiscSea
05/01/2006, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure if any are missing. I've have quite a few. Also, I added a bunch of empty shells, so I can't count those either. There still seems to be the normal number though.

sassyfishy
05/02/2006, 05:50 AM
My hermits molt every month or two. The molt looks just like a dead crab...even with a bit of "meat" attached to it. Every single one of my six hermits has been accounted for, so I know they are molts.

rivank
05/02/2006, 05:56 AM
Same thing happened to me testerday found what I think is a dead hermit and that maybe an emerald green crab deshelled him. Might have to start counting when the lights come on today! I saved the the hermit to show to a friend who plans on stopping by today and get his opinion.

WiscSea
05/02/2006, 06:43 AM
Thanks everyone. That makes me feel a lot better.