PDA

View Full Version : AquaLight or Viper?

intenseimage
05/01/2006, 10:08 PM
I am looking to get a 150 watt lamp in the next week or so ($250 budget).

I thought about the Sunpod but the built in ballast doesnt sit to well with me. My tank temps can get a bit warm right now and having that ballast right over the tank scares me.

So that leaves me with really 2 choices for remote ballast 150 watt lights ...

The Aqualight Pro and the JBJ Viper ..

Opinions, comments, recommendations?

ycrazyy
05/02/2006, 07:09 AM
I had looked at both of them (ended up with the JBJ Viper). I had read about problems with the Aqualight and also an issue with noise from the fan and since it was going in my bedroom, that was a big no no. The Viper is great, and my tank temp actually went down when I had it on. The stock bulb has a very nice color, the reflector is only so-so though, lets a lot of light out the sides and esp. the front of the unit. Having not ever tested the Aqualight, I would obviously favor the JBJ Viper and haven't had any issues with it at all (except a broken bulb that came with it, JBJ replaced it immediately). I also like the look of the Viper a lot more, it is a very compact design except for the massive ballast.

aural
05/02/2006, 10:23 AM
i have the aqualight on my 20L - its a great fixture but the fan did get noisy. I unplugged it and never looked back. with an open top tank there wasnt any need for the fan on the fixture.

Poorcollegereef
05/02/2006, 03:13 PM
I have the aqualight and it is a good choice, it fits well on my 20L. Like aural, the fan gets noisy but I cleaned all the dust and dirt that it sucked up and now it works find. I think i just have a dusty apartment. I have never even seen a Viper (except for online pics)but both are god choices. Now, I was able to find my aqualight for only 170 dollars used at my LFS so you might be able to do some scratching around and find a better deal.

Oh, and I heard that there is some more bulb breakage issues with JBJ. The Aqualight does a really good job focusing the light while there is some light spillage with the JBJ