PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock

AmatureReefer
05/02/2006, 01:20 AM
I looked all over but cant find any info on this small question. When getting live rock is it a good idea to get all different sorts or just one or maybe 2 types. I am going to put 110 pounds of live rock in my 55 gal.

Such as 50 pounds of Hawiian water fall fully cured rock
30 pound Fiji Live rock live rock
30 pounds Lace Lava Live rock Fully cured

Oh yeah and if 110 pounds is not a good idea then let me know. Sorry If you guys have already answered this question I have looked everywhere, and the search is not working on my computer. Thanks

ltt83
05/02/2006, 02:14 AM
i dont know about 110 in a 55 i have 100 in my 90 and it seems to fit just fine

reefnetworth
05/02/2006, 03:23 AM
1.5 lbs per gallon = 82.5 lbs i would only mix Fiji and Kaelini. or the other two. you want to have aquascape look natural. Fiji & Kaelini are lightweight and pourous with caves and coralline. you fill more space with less weight. i cant give advice on the others ive never seen them. i also suggest live sand such as Arag-Alive, it has millions of bacteria to help cycle the tank and help build up your biological bacteria you need to break down nitrite, nitrate, ammonia. LR & LS are both natural bio-filters. good luck & REEF-ON!!!

reefnetworth
05/02/2006, 03:32 AM
cured rock will take less time, while uncured will build your bio better in a new set-up. live sand will also cycle in a new tank. its best to do both at the same time for that reason. it should take no more than 7-10 days. there are some threads in the begining of this forum you will find all you need to know. Bertoni has some great, easy to understand articles. research, patience, & time are the most important three things to reefkeeping. good luck & REEF-ON!!!

AmatureReefer
05/02/2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys