PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Question

Stilgore
05/02/2006, 09:08 AM
Just got through my cycle on my new 120 and I was thinking about installing a refugium (I have a 29 gallon sump now).

I have been doing research on refugiums and I am not sure I can make one that will actually provide any benefit. As I understand it, the refugium adds food to the water column while helping lower nitrates. Is this correct?

I think I could set one up above my sump using a little 10 gallon tank but I have read that the fish will not get the food if the water has to travel up the return pump as most of the organisms die on the way.

Could someone please give me the low down on the benefits of the refugium if I place it in the system as I stated above?

Thanks alot,
Stil

kraze3
05/02/2006, 09:13 AM
I think the food your talking about would be the pod cultivation in the refugium. Not all fish eat pods but you got the right idea. The refugium will help to lower nitrates in your system. As for the return pump, the pods are small some may get killed along the ride but most will make it.

Stilgore
05/02/2006, 09:20 AM
Great! Think I will give it a shot here in the next couple of months. I think it will build a stand above my sump, using a low flow pump to get the water to the refugium and then letting overflow go straight back into the sump.

Hope it works! Thanks for the info

Stil

P.S. I have read that lighting should be on an opposite schedule to my tank lights. Is this correct?

kraze3
05/02/2006, 09:34 AM
Ive heard some that use opposite lighting, and Ive seen some tanks that keep the refugium light on 24/7. Opposite should be fine though. Im not sure if this would be easier for you, but you can split the incomming water line to your sump to get flow to the refugium. It would save you the hooking up of another pump and some electricity, but as I said I dont know what is better for you