PDA

View Full Version : Catching Bad Boys

LaFishLover
05/02/2006, 11:52 AM
I have a 24 gal. Aquapod and I have discovered I have got two bad boys. First is my neon pseudochromis. My LFS suggested him to me but he was unaware that he can be real mean if he is the first fish and also put in a small tank. He has on in every reef tank he has but they are much larger tanks and probably already had other fish in it. He has killed a six line wrasse, 2 clowns, and a bio color golby. My second bad boy is my coral bandit shrimp. I have had him for 3 months with no problem. I purchased a fire shrimp 3 weeks ago and everything was ok. I went to another LFS and he warned me the coral bandit was bad with other shrimp. Would you believe the very next day I saw the coral bandit with the fire shrimp in his mouth. My question is there an easy way of catching these bad boys without having to take out all my coral and live rocks?

Agu
05/02/2006, 04:22 PM
No

It can be done but I wouldn't call it easy.

chocolateblnt
05/02/2006, 04:34 PM
Easy to catch the fish ...

take a water bottle cut the neck off turn it around and stick it back into the bottle to make a funnel into a chamber type of trap. Stick food in it put it in the tank and wait for a fish to go in. Caught a damsel in under a min. this way.

Bandit ...

Good Luck ... perhaps you can try a similar method.

Don_Gnomio
05/02/2006, 06:09 PM
the way chocolate described is the best way..i used it on a diadema in my 55 gallon

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/VictorAlonso/fish2/7-16-050003.jpg

d1hotblaze
05/02/2006, 06:19 PM
if you are in so cal i will take your corral banded shrimp

LaFishLover
05/03/2006, 05:14 AM
Sorry, as I am in Shreveport, Louisiana. Is flake food ok for both fish and shrimp? That is all I have been using so far.

falcondob
05/05/2006, 03:43 PM
I think flake is good food, if you get a good brand. However, I think feeding a broad spectrum of food is necessary for THRIVING livestock. I would add frozen and live when possible.
John

chocolateblnt
05/05/2006, 04:46 PM
told you :P

LaFishLover
05/06/2006, 10:13 AM
Well I tried the plastic water bottle and I caught my pseudo in 15 minutes. Have not caught my coral bandit shrimp yet. He is real slick and to big for the water bottle trap. Thanks for the suggestions.

vanmo92
05/06/2006, 02:26 PM
glad it worked for the fish. good luck with the shrimp.

LaFishLover
05/07/2006, 06:18 AM
It was mentioned above about adding frozen food to my fishes diet. Oh yea, after getting rid of my pseudo I purchased a small pigmy angel and a small six line wrasse and it is very pleasing to see a quiet tank. Do I have room for any more fish?

kaserpick
05/07/2006, 07:55 AM
Use the same bottle technique for the CB shrimp, but cut the nozzle of the bottle so it opens up a little more. :)

Thumbs up!
Kaserpick

godoggo
05/07/2006, 10:52 AM
As a last resort, siphon the water out of your tank, when the level gets low enough, just pluck him out - them use a powerhead to pump the water right back in - no muss, no fuss

I've done this on my 150 reef tank - trying to catch a marine betta, eating me out of house and home, and my 55 reef, with a rogue clarki.

Good luck!