PDA

View Full Version : PH controller for CO2 on CA reactor

dvanacker
05/02/2006, 12:22 PM
Is it worth the extra bucks for a controller on your calcium reactor. This would save on fiddling with the bubble count right......so do you think its worth it and do they run well this way.??

dvanacker
05/02/2006, 03:47 PM
some of you guys have to be using your calcium reactor w/ a PH controller......how do you like it?? My idea is just to set it to 6.5 and just get the bubble count close. Then the controller will shut the solenoid off and on.

Ewan
05/02/2006, 04:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7291610#post7291610 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dvanacker
some of you guys have to be using your calcium reactor w/ a PH controller......how do you like it?? My idea is just to set it to 6.5 and just get the bubble count close. Then the controller will shut the solenoid off and on.

I have never used a controller, and I don't regret it at all.

They certainly have their place, but they are certainly not necessary in a reactor setup. IMHO, a properly-tuned reactor will provide greater stability for the system. Stability is the best part of running a reactor.

The learning curve is sharp when it comes to dialing in a reactor, but once you do it once, you get it... It's a balance of flow, CO2, and a watchful eye. I'd urge you to try running a reactor without a controller. I haven't checked my alkalinity in months, but I know exactly what it is. I no longer monitor my effluent pH either.

That's just my opinion. I'm sure you'll get some different ones in this thread. Good luck!

-Rob

dvanacker
05/02/2006, 05:01 PM
I already run one with out a controller. I have a pinpoint monitor. It can be a pain when it drifts though. And if I set it up somewhere that I wont see it very often I know I would forget to check it.

toothman
05/02/2006, 06:24 PM
I think the idea of a controller should be to serve as a safe guard to not let the ph drop too low at night. I run my pinpoint controller on the solenoid to shut down the co 2 at 7.8 ph. Even with a 400 gal system it does shut off. So I do agree that it is wise to just check the discharge to see if it is around 6.5 and run a controller on the entire tank.