PDA

View Full Version : adding live rock

willyreef
05/03/2006, 11:09 AM
I have a 54 Gal tank that has been up and running for 2 years now with no problems. I have about 50 LBs of LR and want to add another 12 LBS to it. I have the new rock in a tub with a heater and small power jet. I got this about 2 weeks ago and it is
"curred" rock. The water in the tub smells fine and there is no ammonia or nitrite. How long should I wait before putting in my display tank?

Willyreef

blue20051
05/03/2006, 11:34 AM
I would wait another 2weeks, just to be sure

psimitry
05/03/2006, 11:35 AM
Smell it (the rock itself). If it doesn't smell bad, it should be fine.

I know a guy that as long as he's not adding more than 20% of his previous rock amount, he doesn't even bother to cure it.

Nu2SW
05/03/2006, 11:40 AM
IF it was "cured' then it should of been able to be added to the tank when you got it.

Most Un-cured rock can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

just depends on the amount of crap on the rock.

Kaiser Tang
05/03/2006, 01:30 PM
If you're not in a hurry, let it set a while longer. Slower is always better.

ReefHotSpot
05/03/2006, 01:42 PM
Even if it was sold to you as cured, wait. Why chance it? No matter what your new addition is going to throw your tank off somewhat. The longer you wait--the less drastic the change. Did you buy the rock locally? If you ordered it online, cured rock or not, then you are going to have to cure it again because of the shipping. We sell cured rock in our store and I can recommend adding to a tank with little problem but I know for a fact that it has been in our tanks for six months and, even then, just the process of moving from one tank to the next with the time out of water that that entails and the difference in chemistry between my system and yours causes some sort of die off. Yeah, that was a long sentence.

pcragg
05/03/2006, 01:58 PM
If it smells like the ocean, go ahead and add it.

If it smells like dirt, you should wait.