PDA

View Full Version : Looking for extra coral growth, what to feed them?

JotaDe
05/03/2006, 01:03 PM
Corals I have; Acro, Encrusting Monti, Monti Cap, Torch Coral, Frogspawn, Hammer, Plate, Candy Cane, Blasto, Pulsing Xenia, GSP, Yellow Polyps, and some Zos.

I have a 29 gallon and have never fed these corals, but I do move some of the frags from time to time to discover best current and lighting for them. I'd like some feeding options to maximize growth, or at least increase it.

If any of you have had noticeable growth in the corals I have with any particular food I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Kaiser Tang
05/03/2006, 01:21 PM
I have several of the corals that you have. The only thing I dose id B-Ionic (ca./alk. suppliment). I have had amazing growth. IMO it's not what you dose, it's the light. Provide Ca 450ppm+ and lots of intense light 6+ watts per gal. using halides if possible. Do these things and I think you'll see lots of growth!

ReefHotSpot
05/03/2006, 01:35 PM
Yep, it's the light. Your acros would love zoo plankton to eat if you could find some. I have also heard about a product that uses oyster eggs to feed stonies but I haven't had any experience with that and would love to hear some unbiased opinions as stonies are my favorite. Other than that, light, light, light.

CMReefer
05/03/2006, 01:38 PM
Kaiser Tang is right, but if you still want to add a food source for the corals the liquid life bioplankton is good stuff and so is DTs phytoplankton. For LPS corals like blastos and the torch you can feed them brine or other meaty foods through a turkey baster. Hope that helps...

Danny

JotaDe
05/03/2006, 01:39 PM
Hmm, well I'm pretty much stuck with 130W PCs over my 29 for now. My wife already calls my hood the "mothership" because of it's look. If I were to throw up anymore intense lighting, or *gasp* suspended lighting I think she'd lose it. Any of you guys using PCs or just Halides?

IslandCrow
05/03/2006, 01:44 PM
I direct feed my candy cane at night from time to time very small bits of silverside, krill, shrimp, etc. I've done that since I've gotten him, so I can't say for sure how much it helps, but it's growing quite well, so it certainly doesn't hurt. I think blastos can be fed similarly. My hammer and various softies I'll squirt some Cyclopeeze and/or mysis on from time to time with a syringe. Sometimes some of it sticks, sometimes not. They seem to do pretty well regardless. I've also started using marine snow a couple times a week which has seemed to help out with my softies (cabbage leather, zoo and mushrooms), but nothing significant enough for me to say for sure. Light certainly seems to be the biggest factor with everything I have.

pcragg
05/03/2006, 01:46 PM
All of your LPS corals could benefit from direct feeding.

I just use a bent piece of cpvc pipe and drop formula 1 pellets right onto the "mouths". Its fun to watch them open their mouths and eat the food. I get huge growth rates this way, especially with acans.

A lot of people have concoctions using blended seafood. I prefer using formula 1 pellets because it is less messy.

JotaDe
05/03/2006, 01:56 PM
Interesting pcragg, so the corals don't mind eating "dry" food?

pcragg
05/03/2006, 02:03 PM
Interesting pcragg, so the corals don't mind eating "dry" food?

Mine love it. They eat it and they grow. Maybe people get better growth rates using blended seafood, but I like not having the mess. Its still better than just relying on lights.