PDA

View Full Version : Haitian live rock

chuckh
05/03/2006, 01:32 PM
anyone use this type of live rock. get 100 lbs of it on ebay for 320 bucks free shipping. its UNCURED though. how long would it take to cure it. i would do it in buckets seeing as im still in the SLOW SLOW learnign process of reef keeping. i figure i could get the rock and let it cure while i research more and pay money on the tank and light i have on hold at the LFS

boomsticks
05/03/2006, 02:45 PM
Hatian LR is much denser than the Pacific brands eg Figi/Solomon/Melasian. So there is more water displacement which means greater flux with chemicals and temp so on and so forth. But by no means indicates poor quality! Curing will take anywhere from a week to a month you should put in tank that has good filters and skimmer running plenty of water flow. You will definatly notice an odor...rather unpleasant one at that when that goes away do a 50% water change wait a couple days and do a little water change 10-25% and you should be good to go!

shoddyk
05/03/2006, 02:49 PM
I have about 150-200 lbs in my 125 gallon. I love it. It stacks very nicely. It will take about a month for it to cure.

benjonesn
05/03/2006, 10:38 PM
Nice shapes in the Haitian I got from eTropicals. Lots of sponge came on it though, requiring extra cleaning and extended cure time.

santi
05/03/2006, 11:23 PM
I don't have it but seen it in someone's tank and I don't like the shapes of those lr. It would be a pain to do a good aquascaping with those. As for curing about 100 lbs., you could just get 2 big trash cans to cure it in.