PDA

View Full Version : Overflow help

Kennetht
05/03/2006, 08:54 PM
I got my 135G up and running, but I'm not too keen on the U-tube overflow that I have. Is anyone running one of the continuous siphon overflows, like the CPR ones? Or is there any way to keep my mind at ease about using the u-tube one?

Pandarian
05/03/2006, 09:03 PM
Stick with the U-tube. They are much better then the CPR, IMO. I have one collecting dust.

RCS
05/03/2006, 09:24 PM
You can rig up a powerhead or something simple that will start the siphon up again if you ever lose power. If I recall correctly, it needs to be set up with a venturi to suck the air out of the u-tube.

Pandarian
05/03/2006, 09:38 PM
I had an aqua-lifter pump. Even with that, I trust u-tubes more. HTH

Kennetht
05/04/2006, 05:29 AM
Fred......if you are taliking about rigging a powerhead or aqualifter to the u-tube, how do I do it? Another question......how many u-tubes can you have on one overflow? I have a Quiet One 4000 (1017 GPH @ 0' Head), and it's turned almost all the way off. The overflow has two 1" outlets. I have 1 u-tube running now, as my other one seems to be too short to reach correctly. Thanks in advance.

Runner
05/04/2006, 06:50 AM
A powerhead is a must with the continuous siphon overflows.

U-tubes are very reliable if you keep them clean. I only have mine lose partial siphon if I don't clean out the gunk occasionally. This is a slow process, though. And you can see the water rising and film collecting on the water surface before the siphon stops.

Kennetht
05/04/2006, 07:20 AM
what happens to the u-tube types when you have a power failure? Do they restart when the power comes back on, or will I flood?

Runner
05/04/2006, 07:37 AM
Nothing happens if they are installed properly (like any package deal bought in the store). They start up again on their own.

Kennetht
05/04/2006, 10:18 AM
ok, thanks! I appreciate the help.

ct_vol
05/04/2006, 11:51 AM
I'm running a CPR on my 125... I'm also using the Aqualifter pump... I'm not all together unhappy with it, but the Aqualifter pump seems to lose efficiency through time (doesn't pull the air from the siphon)... I've found that if you pull it off the siphon it will get going good again... But it does great for restarting should the power go out... Don't have any experience with the U tube type, though from reading this, I might have to give one a try for one of my future set ups... They are a lot cheaper if nothing else...

ReefRacer
05/05/2006, 11:24 AM
If you plumb your tank correctly you can make it almost impossible to overflow your sump or tank.
The key for me is that my return line is only submerged a half inch under the water level of the main tank. It will break siphon dirty or not, when the water level backflows to the sump because it is then out of the water. It is obviously important that your of your sump can hold this (half inch) of water without overflowing.
The water volume in your return chamber of your sump should be small enough to be held in the main tank if your u tube siphon fails. Your return pump will then just blow air. (probably not good for the pump but better than a flood).
In order to not lose u tube siphon during a power outage make sure the ends of the u tube are below the level of the return line on the tank side, and below the level of the drain on the overflow side.
Mike

ct_vol
05/06/2006, 07:44 AM
I drilled a hole about a half inch below the water line in my return to prevent it from siphoning back... Reckon thats about the same principle...