PDA

View Full Version : how do i start a saltwater aquarium?

crzysxycooi
05/04/2006, 12:44 PM
hi, i wanna start a 10 gallon fish tank with just corals and shrimps. what equipments do i need? heater? filter? i dont know what's required for a saltwater aquarium. how do i start a saltwater aquarium?? please help

kravi
05/04/2006, 12:52 PM
Wow, that is a tall order.

First off, if it is your first tank especially, I'd recommend that you get something significantly larger than 10 gallons. Saltwater aquariums are much more difficult to maintain than freshwater, and hte mroe water you have, the more stable the system (because any sort of polutants will dilute more in a larger body of water and thus have less of an effect on the system).

In short, though, you will need a tank, a protein skimmer (a sort of wet filter), some water pumps, live rock (which acts like a biological water filter), and lights.

In a perfect world, you should get a protein skimmer that is overrated for your tank (no problem if you are using a 10 gallon), good water circulation (but not "too much").

You might want to check out nano-tanks. They are designed to be very small closed system saltwater aquariums.

--kravi

crzysxycooi
05/04/2006, 01:00 PM
do i need live sand? do u by any chance know how to get rid of bristle worms? do bristle worms attack sexy shrimps or corals (i think the corals are called "zoos")

zoltetov
05/04/2006, 01:11 PM
I think the best thing you can do at this point is read. I understand that you're asking for advice, but really, at this point, do a little research first. Get a better idea of not only what people have, but also what things cost. You might find that for the cost of a 10 gallon, you could actually get a larger set up for not much more. This site is a great resource and you made a fantastic first step. Now the best thing you can do is take advantage of it. Remember, it is important that you're patient. Nothing good ever happens quickly in this hobby. Investing your money in the wrong system because you made some bad decisions (like a lot of us), could get quite annoying and expensive.

oh yeah, and:
[welcome]

ttomkat1
05/04/2006, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the forums crzysxycooi,

Well you are on the right track by asking before buying. I would definetly read up a bit on the requirements for keeping a saltwater tank, especially if you want to keep coral.

I second the idea of maybe a nano system, but look at the bigger picture first.

Hope to see you around!

---ttomkat1

MCary
05/04/2006, 01:19 PM
The plural of shrimp is shrimp not shrimps.

tigerarmy40
05/04/2006, 01:23 PM
if I were you and I was pretty serious about getting into the hobby I would go out and by about three or four books about marine aquariums to read....

AngeloM3
05/04/2006, 01:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7303998#post7303998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary

not trying to make fun of anyone.... but thats funny! :D

JER-Z
05/04/2006, 01:36 PM
read as much as you can, and save your money as you are researching...you will need it.

AngeloM3
05/04/2006, 01:44 PM
the moderator is gonna hate me for this.... but

www.wetwebmedia.com

probably has EVERY kind of information you'll need to know!

rivank
05/04/2006, 01:54 PM
Waterkeeper says it best here I think. Good info. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848

crzysxycooi
05/04/2006, 02:28 PM
ok thanks guys!!

Sk8r
05/04/2006, 10:30 PM
Little tank means a little change can be huge in terms of effect.

A 30 gallon is a good medium size---big tank solidity, but not so cranky as a 10, and it will still run on a Penguin filter and adequate lighting if you want to get into the simplest kind of saltwater.

To do the modern way, you want a reef-plumbed tank, a skimmer, a sump, a pretty potent return pump, good lights, live rock if not live sand, and a flock of test kits.

You say you want to keep corals: you can, but corals come in several different levels of what-they-need. Simplest, the zooanthids and mushrooms, many of which will flourish under lower light and basic equipment; a 30 with a Penguin can do those.

Next in requirements: with better lighting, and the sump/skimmer/live rock method, you can keep the large polyp corals like frogspawn, bubble, and others of that type: some of them will eat most anything you give them.

The highest requirements, definitely mh lighting and potent skimmer and sump, the sps, the branching colorful sticks and their type...they're very do-able if you have the right light and a good amount of flow and the right test kits (cal, alk, and mg). You can get sucked further and further into that realm of calcium-hungry creatures that get you into calcium reactors and other automations that can get pricey.

I'd say if you want to start, start with a tank that can become the sump of a bigger tank, because people who get drawn into this hobby end up getting bigger tanks---and get your feet wet, so to speak. ;) Get mushrooms and the like, trade with friends in the hobby, learn to reproduce those and get expert with the equipment and the water chemistry. You can have your mushrooms, your shrimp, a few nano-fish, and have a lively, colorful tank. Don't start with an anemone, if you'll take my advice: everyone who's seen Nemo wants to try, and they're a special kind of problem. If you want a good-looking tank, and corals call to you, try the mushrooms for a start: they stay where you put them (mostly), they reproduce easily, and there are tons of varieties that will get you started. You can parlay them into a few tolerant stony corals and better lighting, and you'll do fine.

davidhughes85
05/04/2006, 11:26 PM
First step: Go for a Bigger tank your going to get one later anyways trust me
Second Step: Take out a Loan
Third: Research research research

nyvp
05/05/2006, 07:13 AM
look into buying someone full setup. we have bargaintrader in my area or a local newpaper. you would be able to get everything you need at a much lower pricing

skeeter_ca
05/05/2006, 08:17 AM
Don't forget, MONEY!!

skeeter_ca
05/05/2006, 08:19 AM
So, if the plural for shrimp is shrimp how do you know if your talking about more than one. ROFLMAS!

bwayne315
05/05/2006, 08:21 AM
I would agree to go with a larger tank. If you can aford it atleast go for a 30 gal or bigger. There is LFS here that can get Oceanic Seconds for about half the price. I also second research and get a book to read.

rustybucket145
05/05/2006, 09:04 AM
aquadw~ I have 3 shrimp ~ :D

Just a side note you shouldn't really be worrying about brislteworms right now. Worry about the tank/skimmer/heater/sandbed or barebottom.

pikachusalad
05/05/2006, 09:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7303998#post7303998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary

Actually...shrimps is legal...and for that matter, so is fishes.:D

kravi
05/05/2006, 09:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7308633#post7308633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquadw
So, if the plural for shrimp is shrimp how do you know if your talking about more than one. ROFLMAS!

that is why you need a modifier.

Ex1: I just bought a shrimp.
Ex2: I just bought some shrimp.

--Me

P.S. :D

bguile
05/05/2006, 09:35 AM
I think shrimps is ok if you're talking about different species just like fishes but that's really getting away from the original post. Like it was said before, do a lot of reading and setup as large a tank as you can afford. I started out with a 12g and ended up going to a 90G a few months later. One more thing to get is patience. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby!

dtaranath
05/05/2006, 03:26 PM
my best advice is, empty your wallet and sell off your kids. And if you don't have any kids, then sell one of your kidneys.

bguile
05/05/2006, 04:15 PM
Lol. It's about that serious aint it!!

rivank
05/05/2006, 11:01 PM
After my oldest daughter feed the tank an entire canister of flake food about two years ago I seriously considered the option but the wife said she'd pay off in the long run and made me keep her!

crzysxycooi
05/06/2006, 02:24 AM
ok guys...getting back to the topic...well...today i started the aquarium...10 gallon...i have a pump heater and a filter, live sand, live rocks (2) and a coral... well just a quick question for whoever lives around the N.Y.C area...any body know where to get cheap live rocks? or cheap invertabrates??

s3aL
05/06/2006, 03:05 AM
Do you have the proper lighting to support that "coral"? What coral did you get? Did you let the tank cycle and check for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates before you started adding livestock?

psimhan
05/06/2006, 03:07 AM
Thats pretty quick. I got hooked on the hobby in december and the tank is finally getting started up tomorrow.
Good going though, mate

niloc16
05/06/2006, 03:17 AM
definitely read tons, a really good book to start with conscientious marine aquarist, really good place to start. dont buy anything yet until you have researched alot, if you buy first and then research you could run into some problems. set up a plan for a year in advance as far as what you want in the tank. and then research what you need for those inhabitants. this is an awesome site for advice and questions but alot of the basics lies on your shoulders to research. and definitely plan to become totally and completely addicted and want to spend your last $15 on some frag or something. patience is THE most important piece in sw tanks. if you rush it will only cost you money and major headaches. just my 2 cents

bguile
05/06/2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, not to be down on you dude but that setup is way to fast. Unlike freshwater, you can't just bring a SW setup home and put things in it right away. It needs time to setup the proper biological balances or you will be forever trying to avoid disaster. Hopefully, that rock you bought is already cured and large enough to maintain your bio-load. What type of coral did you get?

sgarrett1108
05/06/2006, 10:19 AM
you may also want to invest in a ro/di unit. I wouldn't use treated tap water for a sw water aquarium. Water is the main ingredient in your tank so you may want to invest in a filtration system

cpnraisnuts
05/06/2006, 12:41 PM
I hope your not sorry for starting with a 10g. I am speaking from experience when I say this. I just got into the hobby a few months ago and wasted over a grand on 2 jbj nanocubes, and everything else to get started in this hobby. Nano cubes are a pain. Mine looks ok, and does well but bad things do happen really fast and there have been numerous times I have wanted to quit this hobby. Stick with it though and you will learn a lot and start saving all your money 'cause you'll need it when you eventually decide you need a bigger tank, better skimmer, better lights, refuge, etc.! I am glad I have a friend who has encouraged me with this wonderful hobby. I just wish I knew then what I know now and still had that 1000.00 to spend! lol
Good luck and welcome to this great hobby.
Steve

zoltetov
05/06/2006, 01:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7309121#post7309121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bguile
I think shrimps is ok if you're talking about different species just like fishes...

Uhm... no it isn't :) There is a large variety of species among shrimp and fish. Some reefers will keep two or more shrimp in their tank while others keep many different shrimp. Same goes with fish. The ocean is filled with various kinds of fish...

Anyway, I expect you to read the next 50 pages of Portrait of an Artist, and next class be prepared to discuss iconic symbolism as it relates to Mr. Joyce...

(bell rings...)

:bum:

puffer21
05/06/2006, 01:13 PM
I want to know what coral you bought. Did you buy the coral the same day you got the tank. That is really fast!!!

oonycxwilloo
05/06/2006, 07:29 PM
Well...THANKS all of you for advices...kinda depressed on the bad news everyone giving me but...today i moved onto a 30g tank...when do i know if the tank is completely cycled??and....how do i kno if the rock is cured or not...???

oonycxwilloo
05/06/2006, 07:43 PM
ooppsss sorry...i replied on my own username....me and crzysxycooi are couples...sorry for the mixup

CCR
05/06/2006, 08:04 PM
You can track the progress of your tank's cycle with salt water test kits. You need to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. All living creatures generate waste. In a reef tank, that waste is ammonia. In addition, as things die (and they often will to at least some extent with new rock), they decay and generate additional ammonia.

The good news is that there are naturally occuring bacteria that will detoxify your ammonia. The bad news is that these bacteria take time to grow.

The cycle we all talk about is the development of these beneficial bacteria. First you will observe ammonia levels increase. The first step of the cycle is the growth of bacteria that convert ammonia (NH4) to nitrite. Following your ammonia increase, you will observe your nitrite levels increasing. The second step of the cycle is the bacterial conversion of nitrite (N02) to nitrate (N03).

To determine the end of your cycle, you need to observe three things: (1) Ammonia levels reach zero; (2) Nitrate levels reach zero; (3) Your water and rock smell fresh.

Up to this point, I have not mentioned the difference between cured and uncured rock. Most rock is shipped from the pacific and much of this is shipped dry. Having the rock out of the water kills a bunch of the life on the rock. When the rock is placed in water, this dead material decomposes and becomes part of the tank's cycle. This cycle can take 1-4 weeks depending upon how much death the rock experiences and how well the tank is maintained.

Some fish stores will keep and maintain the rocks through the curing process. Some stores will turn it over quickly and leave the curing to you. Your nose can be a good initial guide. If it stinks, it is not cured.

Putting new rock in a tank can lead to a significant ammonia spike. Coral is particularly sensitive to ammonia. That is why you are seeing many posts about rushing. If your rock is curing in a tank with coral, you stand a high probability of killing (or severely stressing) your coral.

If you suspect that your rock needs to cure, perhaps you can return the coral to your store (or at least get them to hold it until your curing and cycling are complete).

If you are on Long Island, I am a very big fan of Country Critters in Patchogue (rather far out on Long Island though). They have an excellent selection and will sell you cured rock. They just got a nice shipment on Tuesday and most of the rock is ready at the moment. I just bought some excellent Fiji branch today.

Their rock is $8-10 per pound. Most of it is not very dense (that is a good thing), making your dollar go further.

Good luck. Get a test kit, read and let us know how things progress.

oonycxwilloo
05/06/2006, 10:45 PM
well the rock that i have my girlfriend passed it over to me from her established tank...and WOW you really helped me out alot...but about the cycling...nitrate reaches 0 and ammonia reaches 0..how bout nitrite and ph levels??

powerbuddy
05/06/2006, 10:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7318741#post7318741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oonycxwilloo
well the rock that i have my girlfriend passed it over to me from her established tank...and WOW you really helped me out alot...but about the cycling...nitrate reaches 0 and ammonia reaches 0..how bout nitrite and ph levels??

The ammonia and NITRITE should be zero , not the NITRATE , zero is ideal but can be reduced through regular water changes. Trust me and i am newbie too. People here have a lot more experience than I do, and will surely advise you to wait atleast a few days/weeks more adding that coral. I think you should add Invert's only in a medium to a well established tank. Try adding a fish first. Adding Live Rock sometimes is not enough, the bacteria colony should be strong enough to consume those ammonia/nitrite levels and change it to nitrates. Can you get some mud from a rock tank or substrate from another tank? That might help in speeding up the process or adding some Bio Zyme! Best of luck anyways.