PDA

View Full Version : my replacement rock

ratgrrl77
05/04/2006, 08:01 PM
Richard went diving this morning gathered my rock and shipped it out at 4pm I picked it up at 5:30 pm and it is now in my tank. This is my replacemnt rock for the rock that Southwest Airlines Cargo left in the hot sun for a full day while they were closed ( see previous thread).
Richard is such a nice guy. I have tons of C. mexicana, Gorgonan and tunicates. And this gorgous dark purple twig like coral with white polyps. I will be posting pix soon.
I'm super happy!!!!!:D :D :D

flameangel88
05/04/2006, 08:14 PM
Would love to see some pictures.

ratgrrl77
05/04/2006, 08:26 PM
I think the dark purple twiggy thing is a Gorganan Whip. It's almost a foot tall.:D

Hey do you know should I mix the bacteria starter in my tank. He sent instructions like it was for a newly set up tank. My sand had already cycled almost 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the bacteria would help but I just don't want to mess this up, I mean I waited so long for this.

flameangel88
05/04/2006, 08:35 PM
I don't think it will do harm to have more bacterias.

beachroadbum
05/04/2006, 08:50 PM
Richard rocks

figuerres
05/05/2006, 06:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7306482#post7306482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ratgrrl77
I think the dark purple twiggy thing is a Gorganan Whip. It's almost a foot tall.:D

Hey do you know should I mix the bacteria starter in my tank. He sent instructions like it was for a newly set up tank. My sand had already cycled almost 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the bacteria would help but I just don't want to mess this up, I mean I waited so long for this.

sounds like a gorg, I have some that when I first got my rock where just "buds" at first I was not sure what they were...
now they are about 12-16 inches tall.
that's from about 3-4 years of growth.

not the best photo but here is one of mine: http://www.figuerres.com/Details.aspx?AlbumID=2&Page=14

I recently moved and I am planing a new stand,sump and other stuff to make the tank and setup much nicer.... but that's gonna take time and $$$ to do.

ratgrrl77
05/07/2006, 08:17 AM
my ammonia is at 1.2 I did a 50% water change last night whe it was also 1.2 ppm. Can anyone recommend a bacteria starter to replace all the bacteria lost during the water change(s) ? I was using cycle but then someone told me it wasn't the best fro saltwater. ( I use it on my FOWLR with no problems) .

flameangel88
05/07/2006, 09:10 AM
Someone here mentioned using Seachem Stability and have good success. I've been adding it when I add fish into the tank my ammonia level and nitrite been near zero but can't seem to get nitrate below 30 even with 2 wcs per week of 10% each time probably due to overloading issue.

Get a small bottle and give it a try.

figuerres
05/07/2006, 09:52 AM
IMHO the "best" way is to take some tank water and add it to the new water after it's had say 2 days to let the salts react.
then just keep it in a big tub with air stones for as long as you can.

any time you dump water and add new water you are creating a shift in the bacteria and other life in the tank.

use small doses of the tanks own bactiera and they will propogate in the new water very fast....

I think even 24 hours in good water would seed a 10-50 galon volume -- bacteria grow fast, ask a person like a kitchen hygenist how quick food can be spoiled at the right temp ... same thing really for our water...