PDA

View Full Version : How has a top off system from AutoTopOff.com? - I have a question?

Kaiser Tang
05/05/2006, 08:58 AM
I have been using a top off system from autotopoff.com for sometime now, but just when I go on vacation. I've been filling up a trash can and then use that as my top off water. Only 15-20 gals. in the can, so if there was a failure, there's no chance my tank/sump would flood. I now decided to run a line from my RO/DI unit to my tank and make my top off system more permanent. I have the top off system that uses two float switches. One switch for normal use and a switch above that for a back-up (in case the normal switch gets stuck on, the back-up would switch it off.) The switches are connected to a solenoid that open an closes to let the water in.

I want a back-up for my back-up. I was thinking about adding another solenoid to the water line that is behind the first. This would be attach to another float swicth that would be equal to or slightly above the original back-up. So if the first back-up fails, the second would trigger and close the solenoid. However, since the back-up solenoid is behind the main solenoid, the back-up solenoid would have to always be powered on. If your familar with these solenoids, when they are powerd, they are on/open and when the are not powered they are off/closed. Is there any problem with leaving the solenoid on all of the time? Does this make senes.

Sorry for the long post?

Kaiser Tang
05/05/2006, 10:19 AM
^

Kaiser Tang
05/05/2006, 11:23 AM
I'll try one more time.

whiirly
05/05/2006, 11:27 AM
but a reef filler set it and forget it
you will never have to worry about a switch going bad and or sticking

Seastorm
05/05/2006, 11:34 AM
There is another option and that is to place the solenoid on a timer, I do that without any problems and I have the same set up as you.

This way your water will be made one (or more) times a day instead of going on and off possibly hundreds of times a day and you set the schedule.

You could have another solenoid inline but I don't think keeping it powered on continuosly is a good idea.

Kaiser Tang
05/05/2006, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7309809#post7309809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Seastorm
There is another option and that is to place the solenoid on a timer, I do that without any problems and I have the same set up as you.

This way your water will be made one (or more) times a day instead of going on and off possibly hundreds of times a day and you set the schedule.

You could have another solenoid inline but I don't think keeping it powered on continuosly is a good idea.

Good idea!

Kaiser Tang
05/05/2006, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7309761#post7309761 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by whiirly
but a reef filler set it and forget it
you will never have to worry about a switch going bad and or sticking

Don't know anything about it. Where do you get one?

crvz
05/05/2006, 11:54 AM
I just made a similar system with those solenoids. I had 2 float switches on one solenoid and then another float switch on a second solenoid. What i found was that, when the first solenoid switched off, the second got extremely hot. I dont know if this was typical, as it's only one data point, but it seems to be the same solenoid that they sell. So i wired the solenoids in parallel, such that they both come on when all the float valves are closed, and it works fine. Bottom line is that i have 2 solenoids, but they really only protect each other for a mechanical failure (spring failure, particulate jam, etc).

whiirly
05/05/2006, 11:56 AM
I got mine from Rods-reef.com but I think you can get them from Championlighting.com
http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=383