PDA

View Full Version : Is it reef safe, with shrimp?

Flyflicker
05/05/2006, 09:18 PM
I was looking at getting a red tail wrasse which I was told was reef safe and needed a well established reef tank in which to live. I know that they are a little harder to keep but I was told that they will eat my shrimp.

Has anyone had any experience with this fish? I currently have a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp... Will I soon miss my poor shrimp or will this fish be fine in a well established reef tank with shrimp?

Sk8r
05/08/2006, 11:59 AM
Wrasses are a committment. I personally have found them a problem: there's little they can't learn to eat, in my own experience, and I find reef safe is all relative: whose reef? There are circumstances, like an ich outbreak, where a cleaner is a benefit. If you ever go to catch a wrasse, it's a major problem, because they hide in rock and learn any trap fast: they're right up there with dottybacks in that regard.

That said, if wrasses call your name, they're great, beautiful fish with a lot of growth and color changes as they grow (be sure the adult look is equally attractive as the juvvie.)

[Personally, liking the look, but not the manner, I ended up with a rainford goby who's a tiny bit of fun---about an inch long: I'm told he gets bigger.]

RichConley
05/08/2006, 12:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7325945#post7325945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Wrasses are a committment. I personally have found them a problem: there's little they can't learn to eat, in my own experience, and I find reef safe is all relative: whose reef? There are circumstances, like an ich outbreak, where a cleaner is a benefit. If you ever go to catch a wrasse, it's a major problem, because they hide in rock and learn any trap fast: they're right up there with dottybacks in that regard.

That said, if wrasses call your name, they're great, beautiful fish with a lot of growth and color changes as they grow (be sure the adult look is equally attractive as the juvvie.)

[Personally, liking the look, but not the manner, I ended up with a rainford goby who's a tiny bit of fun---about an inch long: I'm told he gets bigger.]

Wrasses constitute 10s of thousands of species, so thats some prety broad statements.