PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Newbee Issues/Questions

Dave & Monica
05/05/2006, 09:40 PM
Multiple Newbee Issues/Questions

I’ve read many threads before posting this and understand that initially, there will be brown, hairy algae growth. My concerns are with algae growth, my protein skimmer, and when to expand.

First, some info – The 70 gal tank has been up and running for almost three months. I bought the tank used so I had live sand and a clean up crew of 5 astral snails and 10 red hermit crabs. The tank cycled, I added three damsels, always use RO filtered water, and a two weeks or so ago did my first ~20% water change. Before the water change, I checked the parameters and Ammonia, Nitrites were zero and Nitrates were >10 mg/L. I gave it a week and visited my local LFS – I’ve had brown algae on everything for more then 4 wks now. They said the same as I've read, it’s normal. I asked about adding LR. He said my parameters were fine and it would be a good thing. So I bought some base rock and two nice pieces of Florida LR. Now after a week, the algae is still there and growing on the base and LR.
Should I wait until the algae goes away before adding anything new?
Should I add more clean up crew?

I'd add picts but can't seem to get them below 50K - agrrrrr

My protein skimmer (Sea Clone SCPS100) doesn’t seem to skim anything. I asked my LFS and they recommended not cleaning it, and ensuring that the air bubbles are fine sized. I tried it every which way and either A: There is nothing to skim as the LR is there but a week or B: something is wrong with the skimmer. Suggestions?

I want to add more LR, should I wait? I have one power head and the inlet from the sump. Should I have another power head for water movement? Appreciate your help.

mg426
05/05/2006, 09:54 PM
Couple of things come to mind. How much LR do you have in the tank?? You are going to need 1 lb per gallon minimum. Might want to get that taken care of (if you dont already) It is needed for sure. Your tank may take a while to season. New tanks are prone to algae for a while. You could try some turbo snails they do a great job. Also the Seaclone has something wrong with it allright, they just plain dont work (sorry) A better skimmer will help the situation.

Sk8r
05/05/2006, 10:20 PM
More and varied snails, about 1 per gallon. Conchs are great sand cleaners. Ditto on the skimmer: it should be pulling something by now.

To post pix, sign on to photobucket. com and create an album: it's free. They automatically resize. Then when you go to post, visit your album, 'copy' your photo url from the first line, and come back to your message. Hit IMG on the tabs above: paste your url into the blank, and follow directions. Viola! A sized picture!

mecold
05/05/2006, 11:08 PM
I guess I was lucky. I never really got the "algea bloom", but I added a few mexican turbo snails during the diatom bloom phase :) The mexican turbo snails are amazing eating machines!

You added florida liverock you bought from your lfs, so you really should make sure that you have around a pound per gallon of that stuff as most of it is dense.

Your skimmer should pull something. Maybe not alot, but something. No experience with seaclone skimmers, but I have read they are tricky to dial in. Then they aren't the pulling as much gunk as one might expect. But, that is all heresay.

Dave & Monica
05/06/2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks for these posts - I'm researching now for more live rock and the clean up crew. I like for Florida/gulf rock as it seems to have so much more on it. It's hard to have faith when you see what looks to be a dead barren rock at the LFS and they say -- it'll grow back. The rock I have now is great - so much to see, even more at night. I would like to mix some other rock in and will buy it all at once. I'll do water changes to keep the ammonia down for the next cycle. I'm also looking into ASM Cralife skimmer that Mark had recommended -- Thanks again for your info.

bertoni
05/06/2006, 01:52 PM
[welcome]

You'll want at least 700 gph of flow in the tank, total. What does the tank have currently, and what animals would you like to keep?

N8ster
05/06/2006, 03:07 PM
Another suggestion that I have seen several times is to set up a sump with a refugium. Put some cheato or other macro algae in your refugium. This will use up some of the nutrients in the system, and make it harder for algae to grow in the main tank.