PDA

View Full Version : Icecap 630 overdrive

HELP!
05/05/2006, 10:03 PM
In another thread someone mentioned that an Icecap 630 ballast could overdrive 4 36" t5's to around 60 watts per bulb. I tried to find some information about this but was having trouble finding anything in depth. so if anyone has some links or knows how this all works and the adverse effects of overdriving please let me know. i am trying to figure out a lighting situation for my 46 bowfront and 4x39 watts just didnt sound like a lot and its very cost prohibative to go up to a 6 or 8 bulb system since you have to buy a second ballast.

thanks,
Branden

horkn
05/05/2006, 10:34 PM
honestly, 4x39 will be more than enough on a 46 bowfront.

i only run 3x39 on my 35g tank, and its plenty bright. in fact too bright for a few lps....

HELP!
05/06/2006, 02:01 AM
right now i have 110 watts of pc on it but i like that there isnt a ton of rock and i want to keep an anemonee along with some corals and i just wanted to make sure that the light would penitrate well enough to keep all the livestock happy evey at the bottom of the tank. i have had a hard time trying to figure out what a "a lot of light" means in terms of watts per gallon. and i guess my thinking is that i would really hate to invest the money now and then a year or two say man i wish i had more light then have to re-invest.

The Grim Reefer
05/06/2006, 07:21 AM
Forget about watts per gallon, it is a poor guide at best. You want to worry about the amount of light making it into the tank. T5's have a very high lumen per watt production and because of the parabolic reflectors the majority of the light produced makes it into the water.

4x39 T5's normally driven will be plenty for your tank. If you want nothing but SPS and Clams the Ice Cap ballast might be worth it.