PDA

View Full Version : poor man's chiller that really works

billy_m24
05/06/2006, 10:40 AM
I live near new orleans and I have 125 gal tank that is built into the wall in a enclose area that doesn't get any direct a/c from the house , I also don't use any fan, being new to the hoppie and not wanting to spend around $600.00 for a chiller I tried a few thing until I found something that works, I took a water cooler and mounted an in hose at the top of the bottle and put a vent hole in the bottle at the top this keeps it from over flowing the holding tank in the water cooler, I next just attached a out flow hose to the tap of the cooler an blocked open the tap, I also adjusted to water flow so the it just fills the neck of the bottle
this brount my tank down from 88 to between 79 and 82 after about 2 days of constain running and is holding it there total cost about $100.00 please let me know how this works for you
Billy_m24

BeanAnimal
05/06/2006, 12:15 PM
Billy, when you say "2 days of constant running" I hope you are not refering to the water cooler. It will live a very short life under that duty cycle. You also need to be aware that there are more than likely several metal parts in contact with your tank water, not a good thing at all!

If you could provide more information we can help you ensure the safety of your livestock.

jmccalip
05/06/2006, 12:35 PM
I don't know how long that'll last. What you did was put an inefficiently running 1/50hp chiller on a 125g tank. You should have at least a 1/6hp chiller. Good luck with it though.

billy_m24
05/06/2006, 03:53 PM
yep, I've been running it day and night for about a month and it still working. all water test have come back good and I'm holding my calcium too. and my coral seems to be growing but you bring up good points

BeanAnimal
05/06/2006, 04:05 PM
IF there is copper in the water path, you are headed for disaster. Many copper tests will not be able to detect the copper (or at least until it is to late). Other metals can be a problem as well. Iron will rust, as will most grades of stainless. Aluminum will oxidize and create some pretty severe problems as well.

Have you been able to determine the path the water takes and what parts are in contact?

billy_m24
05/07/2006, 07:17 PM
the cooler is a kentwood drinking water cooler the water just go in the top of the bottle and into the stainless steel holding tank, and out threw a platice tap. since the chilling chamber is made for people to drink form I think it should be ok, this is the only metal the water comes in contact with.

lfjewett
05/08/2006, 11:08 AM
Not to rain on your parade billy.. Just so you know Titanium is about the only metal that can be used around saltwater without leeching/rusting/etc... The stainless pan in your cooler will hold up for a time but will eventually rust.

The other points on the duty cycle of the chiller are valid as well. Your pushing the limits of the chiller and it will lead to an early failure.. However I see no reason it won't work untill it burns out.

You could consider chilling freshwater in the 5G water bottle and running a looped coil of tubeing through it with tank water. The only problem is plastic tubeing is a horrible conductor.

Good Luck

Beenalongtime79
05/08/2006, 12:05 PM
Are you saying, no stainless steel may be used in saltwater... I don't know about that as many direct drive pumps use a stainless steel shaft which is exposed to saltwater. Correct me if I am wrong.

Peace,
John H.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7325560#post7325560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lfjewett
Not to rain on your parade billy.. Just so you know Titanium is about the only metal that can be used around saltwater without leeching/rusting/etc... The stainless pan in your cooler will hold up for a time but will eventually rust.

The other points on the duty cycle of the chiller are valid as well. Your pushing the limits of the chiller and it will lead to an early failure.. However I see no reason it won't work untill it burns out.

You could consider chilling freshwater in the 5G water bottle and running a looped coil of tubeing through it with tank water. The only problem is plastic tubeing is a horrible conductor.

Good Luck

BeanAnimal
05/08/2006, 12:52 PM
John,

Some grades of stainless are more salt water compatible than others. The list is not important, but can be easily looked up.

The tank in a water cooler is likely low grade stainless. The oxidization will not hurt humans :)

jmccalip
05/08/2006, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7326306#post7326306 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
John,

The tank in a water cooler is likely low grade stainless. The oxidization will not hurt humans :)

Yes, but you're not running saltwater through a water cooler anyways, so it doesn't matter. :p

billy_m24
05/09/2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks, I'll start doing a weekly check on the pan and will let you know how long it last cooling the tank the cooler I have is about 8 years old to start with. I only need it to last threw aug. it could be a good short term fix for people in nothern part of the country to get them threw a couple of hot month.