PDA

View Full Version : Condy Anemone?

kwiker
05/06/2006, 04:51 PM
There is an anemone at my local fish store. It is white with pink tips. They call it a condy anemone. First question is it coral safe? Second is there a possibility that a clown fish will host in it, or is it too strong of a sting? Last are they hard to keep? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Juck
05/06/2006, 05:20 PM
It will move around until it finds a favorable location,,, it may sting anything it encounters. Clowns occasionally host in Condys,,,,it often leads to the decline of the anemone.

If a condy finds it's 'happy place' and you have Halide or strong VHO Lighting and good water params, then they are no more difficult to keep than say, an LTA. Some folk have kept condys alive under PC but I bet there are more failures than successes.

Buster4900
05/07/2006, 06:45 AM
I had a Condy for a couple years, he grew to be very big so I sold him. THe clowns stayed away from him. I never fed him, he just ate the what ever floated by. Never moved either. No sure if all this is typical.

JENnKerry
05/07/2006, 07:00 AM
It is a rare occurrance, but a clown can host in it.

rubysmomma1
05/08/2006, 01:15 PM
I've heard it also depends on the clowns. We bought a condy for our percs and they wanted nothing to do with him. A month later he ended up in the power head. :( When asking questions on here, we found that most clowns will not host in condy's because of where they come from. I can't remember where now.

We ended up getting a GBTA a few months after the death of our condy and now, six months later, our perc still wants nothing to do with it. She prefers the green stars and the pulsating xenias.

Good luck. I hope you get an odd clown fish that will take to it.

xcreonx
05/10/2006, 09:04 PM
Condy anemones come from the carribean and the atlantic, and there are no clownfish there to host, so it isn't really a natural pairing. When I first got into saltwater tanks, the LFS sold me a Condy and a percula saying they would host fine... this never happened of course!

There's a good sticky at the top of this forum with info on clownfish and which anemones they will host in.

Nappy07
05/10/2006, 09:14 PM
I have a condy right now that hosts with a clarkii clownfish. i brought them together but there were alot of clarkii that wanted to host with it

xcreonx
05/10/2006, 09:19 PM
You sure its a condy?

Dannyboy17
05/11/2006, 11:22 PM
I had two Clowns host in my old Condy...I kept in under NO Flourscents, and just kept it well fed :)