PDA

View Full Version : calcium levels

wwest
05/06/2006, 04:52 PM
this is propably a stupid question but i have never ran into this before. i am cycling a new 30 gallon tank and i tested the levels today. well i have a red sea tester and the start of the test is spose to be pink but in fact its yellow. does that means its 0 calcium? kinda lost here can anyone help?

bertoni
05/06/2006, 04:53 PM
I've had problems with Red Sea test kits, and ended up returning the set that I bought. If the kit starts out the wrong color, I'd suspect it's expired.

wwest
05/06/2006, 05:29 PM
well i thought of that and its not expired. also i have another tank in which case the tester works fine for it..?... doesnt make a hole lot of sence..

bertoni
05/06/2006, 05:31 PM
Well, the expiration date is based on careful storage and shipping, which isn't always the case.

The same test kit works with a different tank? Hmm, maybe the water chemistry is bad in some way. Hard to say. Do any other parameters look out of line?

wwest
05/06/2006, 05:44 PM
no ph is low nitrate is .25 nitrite is 0 and anmonia is 0 water is about 5 days old. i am trying new sand with this one. Caribean sand i have always used florida crushed..

bertoni
05/06/2006, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't think it's the sand. You could try in the chemistry forum. I'd probably buy another test kit as a backup. The Salifert test kits last a long time and have worked well for me. The Red Sea could be used on the other tank until it's empty, if the Salifert works on the new tank.

wwest
05/06/2006, 05:54 PM
ok cool thanks for your help. you were alot of help

Paintbug
05/06/2006, 06:44 PM
how many times did you try testing? i would say if you added salt its impossible to have 0ppm as a calcium reading, unless you have a bad batch of salt. which again is little chance of that. i would go to the LFS and have them check the calcium levels. that way you know if its your kit.

wwest
05/06/2006, 07:05 PM
ok ill try that tomorrow its not being pink makes sence being 0ppm. and i did just add salt. i have tested it a few times and my other tank a few times same results each time. i just did about a 50% water change im going to let it cycle tonight and then test it tomorrow again..

Sk8r
05/06/2006, 07:44 PM
Wait 24 hours between additive and testing. It takes that long for complex biochemical changes to quit reverberating through the system.

But I recommend Salifert tests: they give you precise numbers, with no "I think it's bluer than it is green" type readings.

Add the following to your profile: size and type of tank, equipment, lighting, etc, age of tank, years experience, type of livestock: this helps shortcut a lot of questions when you need help fast

bertoni
05/06/2006, 07:58 PM
I don't know of any calcium additives that require a 24 hour wait before testing. The test should be valid as soon as the water circulation distributes the calcium throughout the tank for any product of which I'm aware. Same for magnesium and alkalinity.

Vinegar can lock up alkalinity until bacteria consume the organic portion of the molecule.

wwest
05/07/2006, 08:44 AM
ill add to my profile now. but i wanted everyone to know that i my salinity was around 1.016 lastnight so i added salt. woke up this morning and salinity is fine plus my calcium is reading again. not sure if that was it but everything seems to be ok now. guess well see next week lol

Paintbug
05/07/2006, 08:57 AM
so your Aklinity is around 1.022? i think that supposed to be your salinity. anyway heres a link that covers all your water parameters. i suggest bookmarking it! http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php it has saved many lives :D

wwest
05/07/2006, 09:07 AM
yea i ment salinity not sure why i typed aklinity lol