PDA

View Full Version : changing powerhead between tanks

Iam
05/07/2006, 01:43 AM
HI everyone..

I have two tanks one 60g and the other one 30g.

I am currently using rio400 powerhead in 60g. Now I am getting rio600 and I want to use the rio400 in the smaller tank..
BUT
I have been having serious problems (white spot etc) with my 60g tank.. now I don't want to just take the powerhead out and put it in the small tank..

is there anyway to make sure that it won't carry any bacterias in to the small tank?? or there is no such a thing I can just use it..???

2nd question
what is the best way to place the power head
bottom
(i saw in one store - buttom to top)

thank you for your help (with my other postings as well)

hairymushroom
05/07/2006, 05:10 AM
Leave the powerhead in a bowl of RO water for an hour and that should solve any problems.

Randall_James
05/07/2006, 06:59 AM
I clean any powerhead that I have out of the tank (they should be done every 6 months or so anyway

Disassemble powerhead
soak for 10 minutes in bleach water
rinse
spray with "lime away" and scrub off all calcerous deposits (coraline etc)
rinse thourougly
reassemble
Fill sink with water and run powerhead for a bit to make sure it is ok

Iam
05/07/2006, 09:57 AM
Thank you guys....
I guess just for this time I don't need to clean the whole thing becuase it's been running only for 4 days now....

Any body has a opinion about the best place in the tank?
Buttom..top...etc

Randall_James
05/07/2006, 10:52 AM
I would do a 1:5 bleach dip and rinse well (there are other pathogens you could introduce).

The placement is going to be unique to your tank. Find where the flow is in the most need and go for it. I just stir up the substrate enough to get some stuff floating and watch for the dead areas or areas of reduced flow.

XtrmCHoPZ
05/07/2006, 11:38 AM
Personally I wouldnt use any types of chemicals.....just wash it THOUROUGHLY with hot/warm water, make sure you scrub every part. Take off the very top of the pump ( where the cord runs into it ) it may not look like it comes off but it does. Often theres stuff inside there, you may need to pry it open with a knife. Disassemlble every part, impeller, housing, eveyrthing.

After you wash it with hot water, let it sit out of water for about 24 hrs. If its exposed to air, and no water AT ALL it will definitely kill off the ich.

By the way those two pumps dont really put out that much gph......you may want to get new, stronger ones. And i dont know if you know but Rios dont exactly have the best reputation around here!

Iam
05/07/2006, 02:45 PM
Well guys thank you so much..

XtrmCHoPZ the one I just bought has 211gph and the other one is 200gph...

since one of them is going to go to 30g seahorses tank.. I don't want to create a tornado..
But I guess 211 is a great number for a 60g...
any other suggestions?

XtrmCHoPZ
05/07/2006, 04:49 PM
YEs I think in a seahorse tank you wont want too much either. BUt for the 60g I would want more flow than 211gph. I would at least get one more. Just my 2 cents