PDA

View Full Version : Is this Ick on my clownfish (pic)

RFC
05/07/2006, 06:48 AM
Wondering is these white spots on my clownfish's tail is ick? The tail area is usually translucent but recently it has developed these white areas. It is eating normally and does not have any other symptom or white spots anywhere else on its body except for what looks like a bruise on the back third.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

RFC

http://rfcgraphics.com/mrt/ick.jpg

Randall_James
05/07/2006, 09:02 AM
an ICH ID even when standing there in person is questionable, the fish must be "scraped" and then the scrapping inspected under a microscope. So that makes a photo ID virtually impossible.

However if the fish is "Flashing" or acting in a way that makes it appear he is being irritated, then perhaps yes, it is ICH.

I would watch carefully (the spots are going to go away) and see if they return again (most likely worse) at that point I would already have my hospital tank fired up and cycled (now is a good time to start).
You can then move this guy for treatment and lay your display fallow for the next 8 weeks (yea I know long time) but your display must be free of fish for this time to eliminate the parasite.

The ONLY exception I know of might be a Mandarin, he will most certainly suffer in qt as his food supply is rather limited. They also have an exceptional slime coat that appears to make them pretty safe against ICH.. Sort of a hard call there but he would likely perish in qt.

Very nice photo btw, great color :)

RFC
05/07/2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Randall,

Thanks for the reply. I decided to move him to my qt tank this afternoon for observation. Time will tell if those spots go away and then reappear.

Thanks again

RFC

Randall_James
05/07/2006, 03:43 PM
Do keep the floor of that tank vacuumed daily. If this is Ich, the parasites are going to at one stage be on the floor of the tank and is a great way to get rid of them. You also need to look at leaving your tank empty for some time as well if this is ich.

XtrmCHoPZ
05/07/2006, 05:34 PM
Just from that pic I would say no. FIsh arent always going to look perfect and that pic just looks like some minor imperfections on his fins caused by who knows what. How long have the "spots" been there? Have they increased in number, gotten bigger, etc.....?