PDA

View Full Version : true perc stuck at top of tank?

Captnmorgan02
05/07/2006, 09:16 PM
my true percula clown is stuck at the top of my tank. almost like he has an airbubble stuck inside him. he looks like he's trying to swim down but can't. he's not swimming on his side and my water parameters are fine. has anyone had this happen or know what the problem is. i've turned all my powerheads and pumps off so he's not getting blown around the tank. I did leave my air pump on so my tank has oxygen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

abugs1985
05/07/2006, 10:47 PM
It could just be this percs natural behavior. Since you say he's not swimming on his side it may be that the fish simply wants to stay at the top of the tank and is a bit aprehensive to swim down and trys the adventure every now and then, but if not it sounds like a swim bladder infection to me. Does the fish look bloated at all?

abugs1985
05/07/2006, 10:48 PM
It could just be this percs natural behavior. Since you say he's not swimming on his side it may be that the fish simply wants to stay at the top of the tank and is a bit aprehensive to swim down and trys the adventure every now and then, but if not it sounds like a swim bladder infection to me. Does the fish look bloated at all?

abugs1985
05/07/2006, 10:48 PM
sorry for the double-post...

foob
05/07/2006, 10:56 PM
My true percs that don't host like to stay at the surface. I've read that true percs do that, compared to false ones.

Is he still eating? If he is, I wouldn't worry too much. Does he swim away when you try and touch him with your hand?

ChunksInClemson
05/07/2006, 10:56 PM
Many clowns (esp. occelaris and perula) will go to the top of the tank to hang out. How long has he been in the tank? If he's new, I wouldnt worry. Does his abdomen looked bloated? If yes, then I would second that it is a bladder infection.

Hope everything goes well!

Chris

Captnmorgan02
05/08/2006, 11:01 AM
well he is still alive and kicking today. He is new, I've had him 2 days. I can't really tell if he is bloated or not he won't sit still long enough. His colors look great and he appears healthy but his staying at the to is definately not "normal behavior"(although I've never owned one before I've never seen any other fish act like this) I just put some flakes in the tank and he started to gobble them down. I hope he's ok.

abugs1985
05/08/2006, 11:15 AM
I'd venture to say don't worry about anything...just sounds like his natural behavior:D

4MB
05/08/2006, 12:41 PM
Being new to the hobby and all myself I have 4 clowns so far. One of my two juveniles acts just like how you are describing. He (eventually will be) just skims around the top of the water all day. Until night time he'll swim next to the other juvenile clown behind the heater. Both of my juveniles have shown odd swimming behaviour compared to my other clowns. They have been alive and kicking for almost 3 weeks in quarantine so I think they are just figuring out how to swim.

Captnmorgan02
05/08/2006, 03:41 PM
Well I finally decided to put the lights back on and now he seems to be hanging around the middle of the tank. I think everything will be ok. Thanks everyone for calming me downand giving me the advice. I've noticed most of you have more than one clown. Would it be better for him if I purchased another clown after he has settled in? Also, I was planning on purchasing an anemone down the road, should I have done this first or can I wait? Also what would be a good anemone for a true perc? Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions. It seems the more books I read the more confused I get. Just like to hear what actually works for people.

Captnmorgan02
05/09/2006, 09:12 AM
?

dantodd
05/09/2006, 10:37 AM
Yes, he will do better with a mate. You are best to wait until he is big enough that you can find a much smaller mate to go in. This will minimize the dominance fighting.

As far as anemones go. They don't need an anemone. Anemones are some of the more difficult animals to begin keeping. They are also one of the animals that live nearly forever on the reef so each one taken is a significant item to be pulled.

Wait until your tank has been up and running for 6mo. Then if you really want an anemone get a bubble tip anemone because they are the easiest type to have success with and they readily reproduce (via splitting) in captivity so you can probably get a captive bred specimen.

Before you get an anemone be sure to read the Anemone FAQ that is in the thread "Clownfish & Anemones FAQ" at the top of this forum. Also, be sure to run your lighting by the board for suggestions. Anemones need special lighting and you can get some good feedback from the folks here.