PDA

View Full Version : whats up with my sump?

Fuegofish777
05/07/2006, 09:51 PM
hey everyone. i just finished plumbing in my sump today. i have a cpr cs90 overflow ~up to 300 gph. my return pump is a mag 5. after head loss calc i should be pushing about 260gph. nothing is leaking so thats good. but i cant seem to get the water levels to balance. either the return area drains to fast or too slow. any ideas? i have a ball valve controling return flow, and the overflow seems to be working fine.

abugs1985
05/07/2006, 11:31 PM
I have the exact same set up for my sump...the CPR cs90 putting water into a 29 gal tank and all that. My return however is a magdrive 7. Since the overflow box keeps a pretty steady water flow into the sump (the estimated 300 gph) you want to make sure you have enough return pump power, more than what the CPR is feeding into your sump. Make sure your head loss is no less than the estimated GPH rating of the overflow. I use a typical ball valve as well on my return, that way I was able to regulate the ammount of water leaving the sump and it was much easier to balance out the water levels and get the flow rates of the CPR and the submerged mag 7 return pump pretty equal.

jer77
05/07/2006, 11:38 PM
you shouldn't be having this problem. the only way you would is if the pump was to powerful for your overflow. Are you sure you have enough water in your sump? Maybe a pic of your sump would help.

Fuegofish777
05/08/2006, 12:03 AM
ya im going to get some pics soon. i think the problem is i'm actually pushing too much water with the valves all the way open. i tried closing them some and the water would start rising. so i kept on playing with them back and forth and forgot to give it time to settle. if i just keep them closed just enough, the water rises but then peaks off and stabalizes. now there's just the issue about the noise. its really loud, is there any way to silence everything? i stopped the gurgling in the overflow, but the water feeding in and the return pump are making bunch of noise.