PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP, Sick STellatus PUffer

XtrmCHoPZ
05/07/2006, 11:55 PM
I have 7-8" stellar puffer that WAS eating like a pig and doing great, about a week he started breathing out of one gill. Now he doesnt swim around at all, and this guy used to always be on the move! Hes always sitting on rocks and scratches. Theres no ich....but could it be some other kind of parasite??! Would something like Prazi - pro help? PLease help this guy cost alot $$$$$$!!!!!!!!

XtrmCHoPZ
05/11/2006, 02:01 PM
PLEASE!!!!!!!!! anyone have suggestions....he wont eat at all.. STill looks okay, and looks around tank. Still breathing with just one gill........please help

leebca
05/11/2006, 11:28 PM
There seems to be a likelihood that the fish has some kind of gill irritation. That could mean a parasite, pathogen, or irritation from water quality.

You've left out important info such as how long you've had this fish, if it was quarantined, the kinds of foods it eats, your system information and water quality measurements. If the fish was eating the right kinds of foods with supplements and additives like recommended here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=785228
the fish should live for several weeks without eating.

I would check the water quality and even if you can find no reasons for concern, perform a large water change.

Without even a reasonable diagnosis to go by, I'm afraid you're shooting into the dark and hoping to hit a target.

My best guess would be to move the fish into a hospital tank. On its way there, perform a freshwater dip:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=7142933

In the hospital tank, if the FW dip has not improved its condition any, then administer an organophosphate containing medication. That would be like trichlorfon, Clout, Fluke Tabs, or Dylox.

If the fish was suffering from an internal/intestinal parasite, I don't think it would be exhibiting the breathing difficulties nor the flashing symptoms you've mentioned.

Sorry that my opinion is not better.

XtrmCHoPZ
05/12/2006, 01:15 AM
he started moving around a little bit more later today and breathing out of both gills, still looks like hes having trouble.

XtrmCHoPZ
05/28/2006, 03:27 PM
The puffer has been in a 20L QT for the past 2 weeks. Ive been doing 5 gallon water changes every couple days. He is back to his old self, eating like a pig swimming a lot and breathing with both gills. Still dont know what happened though.