PDA

View Full Version : need help fast

8mycash
05/08/2006, 10:50 AM
ok heres the problem, I have a 500 gallon tank and one sick powder tang. I can't catch him, to much live rock 450 lbs. now what. I have read that the only way to treat ick is with copper in a hospital tank or try to feed them garlic. He won't tonch anything with garlic. Any ideas??

Derek

Sk8r
05/08/2006, 11:45 AM
You've tried soaking whatever he eats in garlic juice?

Keep your alkalinity in the comfort zone for him. Try to minimize stress.

Formula One makes a garlic-laced sinking pellet. This might help the other fish in the tank.

Foster & Smith also sells a fish trap that might work if he's hungry enough: anchor his favorite inside so he can't steal it and sit and wait with the filament line in your hand; lower trap door when he's inside. I hate to tell you it wouldn't catch a rabbit: they're too spooky. I had several chances at a firefish. So a hungry tang might be more self-confident, perhaps.

McBeck
05/08/2006, 11:48 AM
What are your water params & what else is in the tank? Is the tang new?

Garlic is typically used as a preventative, not a cure. I'm not sure it will help you right now.

If you're certain it's ich, your best bet is to find a way to capture the tang and move him to QT for treatment. If you can move rock from one side and corner him in that end, you might have a good chance of catching him. You can use eggcrate to section off areas of the tank. This should reduce his escape routes and also help limit your rock moving.

Andrew
05/08/2006, 12:57 PM
Have you tryed putting some sheet algae on a clip at the top of the tank and when he comes up, just take a container or bucket and pick him up. This is how I got my kole tang out of the tank. Pretty easy but had to wait prob 20 minutes for him to find the clip with the food on it. Do you have any other fish, corals, or inverts in the tank?

8mycash
05/08/2006, 04:30 PM
ya caught him using a clear sheet of plastic sheeting an a net. off to the hospital tank for him. thanks for all your help.

Derek

Andrew
05/08/2006, 05:19 PM
Let us know how he does. :)

BTTRFLYGRL
05/08/2006, 05:33 PM
Any other fish in the tank? If so, they need to be treated as well