PDA

View Full Version : How can I plumb everything?

reefgeek84
05/08/2006, 11:53 AM
OK...So here is the what I want to do, I do not know even know if it is possible....

I do not want anything in my tank, with the exception of some bulk head fittings w/ strainers in the back of the tank.

I have a 54 gallon corner pentagon tank... that will have about a 8 gallon sump.

So....Ideally I would like to be able to have bulk head that drains the water into the sump (so I do not have to have an overflow box), but in line with this I would like to have my UV and my protien skimmer hooked up and have the water pass through both of these before the water goes to the sump. Once the the water passes through both of these and into the sump I would then like to have a Mag9.5 pull the water from the sump and return it to the tank via the OM 4-way-nano. (heaters will also be in the sump).

Is this possible or not? Would I just need to run the mag and the OM closed loop?

Please help me.

reefgeek84
05/08/2006, 12:47 PM
BUMP

rustybucket145
05/08/2006, 12:51 PM
Well you need to figure out how much flow your skimmer and uv can accomodate. I wouldn't think that they would be able to keep up with the mag 9.5. Or even a Mag 5 for that matter. You should T the overflow line (one side to Skimmer/UV) and the other directly to the sump. That should put you in good shape. Everything else sounds fine.

reefgeek84
05/08/2006, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7326297#post7326297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Well you need to figure out how much flow your skimmer and uv can accomodate. I wouldn't think that they would be able to keep up with the mag 9.5. Or even a Mag 5 for that matter. You should T the overflow line (one side to Skimmer/UV) and the other directly to the sump. That should put you in good shape. Everything else sounds fine.

Yeah I figured that my UV is 100-200gph and my skimmer is 325gph, Do i need to get a bigger uv, if I "T" it? Also can you kind of explain the T part...so I drill a bulk head hole and put a ball valve to control flow and then just add a T fitting? Also I would want to put the bulk head only down about 2" from the top so if the power goes out and my pump from my sump stops working only 2" of water will go in the sump and then the water will stop cause it is below the bulk head, right?

rustybucket145
05/08/2006, 01:34 PM
I would run a line directly to the T (without Ball Valve), then since you want to control the flow of water to the UV You need a Gate Valve going to it. The others only need a Ball Valve if you need to be able to control the water flow. BTW I have never used UV. Is there a specific reason that you feel you need to use it?

If your other threads with the 8gal sump are pertaining to this setup you should really re-think some things. Two inches of water in a 50gal tank may not sound like much. But I would guess (depending on the tank dimensions) that it would be close to 5-10gal. And also take into consideration that your return lines into the main tank can/will start a reverse siphon through the pump and drain the main tank to the level of your loc-lines or whatever fitting/bulkhead you will be using for the return lines. Good Luck,

reefgeek84
05/08/2006, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7326577#post7326577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
I would run a line directly to the T (without Ball Valve), then since you want to control the flow of water to the UV You need a Gate Valve going to it. The others only need a Ball Valve if you need to be able to control the water flow. BTW I have never used UV. Is there a specific reason that you feel you need to use it?

If your other threads with the 8gal sump are pertaining to this setup you should really re-think some things. Two inches of water in a 50gal tank may not sound like much. But I would guess (depending on the tank dimensions) that it would be close to 5-10gal. And also take into consideration that your return lines into the main tank can/will start a reverse siphon through the pump and drain the main tank to the level of your loc-lines or whatever fitting/bulkhead you will be using for the return lines. Good Luck,

I want to UV, because I like the safegaurd of it. My dad uses one and when he took it off, he had some bad outbreaks, he has put it on and since nothing has happened. I just would like to have it on as a safegaurd.

That is a very valid point, about the 2 inches from the tank, I just do not want stuff in my tank, i hate it. So I am trying to figure out the best way to do this...maybe you can lay some stuff out for me on how I should run this. If i need to go with an overflow box then I will, but would like to aviod it, it possible.
So how would you run all this stuff?

rustybucket145
05/08/2006, 02:04 PM
Try to get either a bigger sump or just sit the sump you have inside of a rubbermaid container to catch the water incase of power outage. This would at least keep your house from flooding. Then you could just dip the water out of the rubbermaid and put it in the sump.

reefgeek84
05/08/2006, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7326804#post7326804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Try to get either a bigger sump or just sit the sump you have inside of a rubbermaid container to catch the water incase of power outage. This would at least keep your house from flooding. Then you could just dip the water out of the rubbermaid and put it in the sump.

OK, i can that. Now you can explain the plumbing and how I should set that up, so I do not get reverse siphoning and just in general on how I should run all this and plumb it? It would be greatly apperciated.