PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Spira

Reefrock
05/08/2006, 01:41 PM
I noticed the local LFS's selling a product called BIO-SPIRA that is bacteria that is supposed to be added to a new tank after the tank has been running for 7 days. This assumes that you are starting with non-line rock. Then on day 7 you add this bacteria liquid to the tank and a few pounds of live rock also. This is supposed to have your tank cycled after 14 days. Has anyone tried this product or a similiar bacteria additive to speed up the tank cycle? I was thinking about trying it, although it is not cheap ($1 per gallon basically)..

Any Feedback?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/08/2006, 02:11 PM
I've not seen any evidence that adding bacteria helps the tank long term. I doubt it will hurt anything if you want to use it, however.

Reefrock
05/08/2006, 02:21 PM
What about short term to speed up the tank cycle? The purpose of the product is to shorten cycle time to 14 days. Is this true and is it healthy?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/08/2006, 02:24 PM
I do not know if it is true, but I'm also not certain that is an "advantage" even if it is true. Ammonia cycling is not the only thing that happens during early stages of aquaria that should be allowed to settle down before adding delicate organisms.