PDA

View Full Version : Picking up BTA tomorrow, any suggestions?

binaryterror
05/08/2006, 01:56 PM
Since I am going to my LFS to pick one up (just got my new 48" Tek 4 bulb fixture!!!), I am wondering what I should look out for. Such as a bad one, or one thats going to die. Basically just any sings that can help me pick the right one. Thanks

phender
05/08/2006, 03:15 PM
There are a few things you should look for:
1. Make sure that it is attached to the glass, a rock or something in the tank. An anemone that is not firmly attached is not a good sign.

2. The mouth should be held tightly closed.

3. Although a freshly shipped anemone may not feed right away, it never hurts to bring a small piece of shrimp with you and ask them to try and feed the anemone you want. It may not eat it, but it should at least be able to hold the shrimp for a few moments. If it eats that's even better. (I know that sounds funny, but I have actually brought pieces of shrimp to my LFS)

4. Once you have made your choice, when they start to take it off the glass or rock, the anemone should contract violently to try to get a better hold. If it doesn't, tell them to never mind and that you will come back tomorrow to see how they are doing.

Do not disregard any of these things because one is prettier than the others. It is very important to be able to say no to all of them if they don't meet the criteria.

One more thing, a BTA will tend to expand bigger in your tank than it was in the LFS, but if you have a choice between two that are equally healthy, get the bigger one. Larger anemones tend to be more attactive to clowns and they can also better withstand the beating some clowns can give to them.

ClownReef®
05/08/2006, 03:22 PM
Phender pretty much covered it all.

Make sure the anemone has color..Usually the BTAs that are offered in the hobby are pink and green..unless you get lucky and see a pink/red, or a green/purple one..which happens pretty much never. Stay away from bleached anemones..they are dying. The fact that some rose bubbletips have tips at the store, doesnt man they are going to keep the bubbles..green BTA's usually do, I just got one green BTA yeterday and it looks amazing...while my RBTA has stringy tentacles.

Remember that when you get the anemone, it will walk around the tank looking for a place to stay, they choose where they want to be..Sometimes they will stay put where you put them..so expect the anemone to walk. Make sure the foot doesnt have any cuts/injuries..or they wont be able to attach.

I guess you are good to go..good luck and post pics!!! :D

phender
05/08/2006, 03:43 PM
There is one thing I forgot to mention besides that things that iReef69 added.
Once the anemone has been removed from its attachment, check the bottom of the foot. If there are any cuts or holes in the foot with white spaghetti looking stuff coming out, tell them to put it back. IME, a heathly anemone will recover from damage to the foot like that, but combined with the stress of shipping and going to a new tank, it will likely lead to its death.

One last thing. When you get an anemone home, after floating the bag in the aquarium for a 1/2 hour to equalize the temperature, put the anemone in a bucket along with some of the bag water. Create a siphon with some airline tubing from your tank into the bucket. Rubber band the airline to a rock or piece of PVC to keep it from falling out of your tank. If you don't have a air valve to control the flow of the water, just tie the tube in a knot and tighten or loosen the knot to control the flow. You want the stream coming out of the tube to break into drops about 2" out of the tube. Allow the water in the bucket to at least triple before adding the anemone to your tank. You should probably make or buy some fresh salt water to have on hand to replenish the water in your tank. You don't really want to add any of the water from the LFS to your tank. You never know what kinds of things it could contain.

Good Luck!

ClownReef®
05/08/2006, 03:46 PM
..And We got it all!..Someone should Sticky this :D!

dantodd
05/08/2006, 03:58 PM
One final thing. If the anemone is attached to a piece of rock be sure to watch carefully as they try to remove it. If they are having troubles or if it looks like it is going to be difficult to get off of the rock offer to take the rock too. It is much easier, IMO, than the risk of having an inexperienced LFS employee tearing his foot.

Rayman380
05/08/2006, 03:58 PM
Dont buy anything but captive breed BTA anemones if you want to be sucessfull!! You may pay more but it is worth it.I have been raising them for two years and have never had one die!

binaryterror
05/08/2006, 04:01 PM
Wow! I never expected such detailed responses! Thanks VERY much!!! The ones that I saw there 2 weeks ago were all a brownish color, with stringy tentacles. They all looked super healthy to me, but at the time I didnt know what to even look for! I will definatly post pics as soon as I get gim! Thanks alot guys!

dantodd
05/08/2006, 04:14 PM
brown is a great color, health-wise. Some are stringy and some are bulbs. It seems to be a combination of tank and anemone. There is no way to know what it will do in your tank until it's in your tank.

Can't wait for the pics.

ClownReef®
05/08/2006, 04:24 PM
Inspect the rock where the anemone is (if its on a rock). You dont want any apstasia or any other pests.

omni2226
05/08/2006, 06:20 PM
One other thing. When its been aclimated properly and you are ready to place it in the tank.

Turn off all the circulation, and make sure the place you put it has no sharp/pointy spots. A fairly smooth place on a rock near a crack/crevice is a good place to place it so it can hide its foot.

Also they dont like real strong water flow hitting them directly, as least not hard enough "blow them over" if you know what I mean.

After it has settled and gotten a grip on the rock turn the pumps back on.

redvipe2010
05/08/2006, 09:29 PM
All great advice.

Here is a website that you will probably see posted here several times. It has some great advice. Make sure you have some silversides to be ready to feed it in a day or two. It may not take the food right away, and be prepared to remove it from the tank if it drops it. And not to big of a piece if it is small.

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/thedifferentcolors.htm

SVXH6
05/08/2006, 11:14 PM
one more thing.... be sure all powerhead intakes are covered!! nothing worse than a wondering BTA getting sucked up into a uncovered powerhead.. IMO if its foot is attached to a rock its just better to take the rock instead of them even trying to remove it, saves a possible injury and stress..

SVXH6
05/08/2006, 11:16 PM
looks like everyone has "one more thing" to add!!

binaryterror
05/09/2006, 04:44 PM
Well... I just got back!!! I picked up a GBTA, and it was attached to a rock with other BTA's. But the lady easily got it off (he was in a crevice, and she got her fingers under there easily). He is acclimating now, I will post pics when he is in the tank. Should I leave the lights on or turn them off when I put him in?

dantodd
05/09/2006, 04:54 PM
I would not change the lighting from the normal schedule. Slightly more inclined to leave them on a little longer to be able to watch him and make sure he knows where the lights are during daylight

binaryterror
05/09/2006, 08:02 PM
Here are the pics!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/texasjoehotdog47/DSCN2505.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/texasjoehotdog47/DSCN2507.jpg

redvipe2010
05/09/2006, 08:53 PM
Looks healthy to me! Enjoy your new BTA!!!

binaryterror
05/09/2006, 08:56 PM
Thats not even half as good as he looks now! He is almost fully expanded with beautiful waving tentacles! I am so excited! I really hope my Clakii pair will host it...

I also noticed that he has a red foot. What does that mean?

dantodd
05/09/2006, 10:30 PM
Red foot is a pretty normal version. Clarkii are clown sluts I would be surprised if they weren't in the anemone by the time you get up in morning.

binaryterror
05/10/2006, 05:21 AM
LOL! They arent. But hopefully soon!

binaryterror
05/10/2006, 05:27 AM
I just looked back and couldnt find my clowns. THEY ARE HOSTING!!! This is sooo cool!!!

JER-Z
05/10/2006, 07:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7327639#post7327639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rayman380
Dont buy anything but captive breed BTA anemones if you want to be sucessfull!! You may pay more but it is worth it.I have been raising them for two years and have never had one die!

at my LFS the WC RBTAs are much more expensive than the clones...The color seems to be more vibrant...Maybe that is why.

SEAFLOWERS
05/10/2006, 10:28 AM
From the pic it looks like there isn't much else in the tank, is that still the case?

binaryterror
05/10/2006, 01:48 PM
I have 2 Clarkii's, 1 Vlamingii (selling), 1 Kole, 1 Royal Gramma, and 1 Rusty Angel. The pics didnt get any fish in them. They dont like when I come near the tank, lol. Here are some updated pics from today!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/texasjoehotdog47/DSCN2511.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/texasjoehotdog47/DSCN2513.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/texasjoehotdog47/DSCN2515.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/texasjoehotdog47/DSCN2514.jpg

dantodd
05/10/2006, 02:18 PM
Looks pretty happy, now get some more live rock in there and start feeding the heck out of your clowns.

binaryterror
05/10/2006, 02:51 PM
I am really looking to get more LR. Maybe some BR so I can get more. And I sure will feed my Clowns, they love eating!

dantodd
05/10/2006, 02:53 PM
It is actually hard to believe how much clownfish can and will eat when given the chance. When they were spawning I'd feed at least 3X a day and nothing hit the bottom of the tank.

binaryterror
05/10/2006, 03:45 PM
How will I know when/if they spawn?

dantodd
05/10/2006, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't worry about it yet. They will lay eggs, usually on a hard flat surface near their home. You can often see them cleaning the spot first.