PDA

View Full Version : stand using no screws glue only?

goda
05/08/2006, 05:29 PM
i was looking at my tenecor stand and knoticed. there is no nails or screws its held together with glue. ( and they didnt even do that thing where they make the ends knotched toincrease streangth of the joint)
think it will be ok

there is one spot where the wood looks a lil pulled back form another piece of wood. im not sure if it came like this or if it peeled back over hte past year ( wish i knoticed this sooner!

cornelious0_0
05/08/2006, 05:32 PM
Maybe try to re-epoxy the panels togethor...but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that type of build holding up my baby. :p

goda
05/08/2006, 05:45 PM
looking closer it looks likeit was buyilt that ways but still

GLUE!!! geez

Silencer
05/08/2006, 06:41 PM
Glue can be amazingly strong but I agree it just doesn't "feel" right. I still can barely believe that the thin cheaply built retail stands can hold the weight of a tank at all.

fsa
05/08/2006, 08:31 PM
A good glue will hold better than screws. Most tests that I have "read" about show the wood breaking under stress before the glued joints break. I wouldn't worry too much about it, if it is not coming unglued.

Frank

goda
05/08/2006, 11:05 PM
screws hold up better to shaking forces and such. glue can slowly crack from vibrations ( say the water vibrating down a pipe)
a combo of glue and screws woulda been better

davocean
05/09/2006, 12:22 AM
Actually glue is stronger than nails when cabinet is designed well.
I've worked for several high end cabinet shops that have said this as well.
Still, I'm into overkill in a marine environment.
Watch to see if seems are failing, add screws if need be

cornelious0_0
05/09/2006, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7330667#post7330667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
Actually glue is stronger than nails when cabinet is designed well.
I've worked for several high end cabinet shops that have said this as well.
Still, I'm into overkill in a marine environment.
Watch to see if seems are failing, add screws if need be

I've got a friends dad in the same line of work, and I agree with this also...but if you're going for a general run of the mill stand for a hundred bux or two then screws are probly gonna suffice.

Bri Guy
05/09/2006, 11:02 AM
All-Glass makes their stands with only particle board and glue. Seems fine like daveocean said glue now days is just as strong as nails if it is used correctly and if that is a manufactured stand Im sure Its ok. Is this stand the one for your 205?

davocean
05/09/2006, 11:13 AM
I would be more concerned with particle board failing.
I'm guessing there must be solid wood supports, I hope.
If you could post pics that would help.

azreefer
05/09/2006, 11:17 AM
The stand is assembled using glue and a nail gun. The nails simply hold the parts together while the glue dries. As mentioned, the glue is much stronger than the wood when dry.

crumbletop
05/09/2006, 11:50 AM
Yes, I remember demos when I was woodworking -- we'd glue some boards together and then break them when dried. They never broke where the glue was...

Jack

goda
05/09/2006, 02:39 PM
i think its mdf wood or somthing ( it deffinitly is manufactures. not solid)

but these people couldent get hte tank seams right what make me think they did the wood part right ( if they can cut a corner some where i bet thell do it where it cant be seen)

anyways. i would add screws but am worried about cracking the wood O_O
(btw the tank is 130 gallons or so)

and hey theres a tenecor guy...

( dont wanna turn this into a tenecor thread. wanna keep this about the stand)

do you guys think i should add 2x4's for extra support ?

also i am thinking of painting the inside of the stand since i see a small black area ( mold i am guessing )
its right above my refuge so im guessing its high humidity
ill take some picts once i fix my camera. but one of the supports seems like its cracking. not sure if the wood is structual or if it is just there to hold the doors.

davocean
05/09/2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I personally hate MDF or particle board for marine.
2x4's not a bad idea.
ALWAYS predrill b4 screwing to avoid splitting.
I wouldn't paint, but get airflow/circulation somehow, little fan maybe?
If I saw pics I could tell you exactly what I would do.

meco65
05/09/2006, 03:40 PM
If it MDF and there is mold from high humidity I would think about replaceing the stand. Its been my experience that it just dose not last after it has been wet.

goda
05/09/2006, 04:07 PM
mdf and partical board are two different things. mdf ( apparently according to lumber guy) is stronger then wood of the same size. i know its deffinitly heavier

davocean
05/09/2006, 11:51 PM
It's strong until it gets wet, then it starts to crumble.
I would never have MDF or particle board near water.
It's a temporary stand either way you look at it, almost no matter what you do.
Failure could be disasterous.
That's a pretty heavy tank.
I would for sure have solid supports at the very least

goda
05/10/2006, 06:15 PM
i think the top plank is reglular wood.

Ti
05/10/2006, 07:27 PM
http://www.chriskula.com/misc/gorilla.jpg

davocean
05/10/2006, 07:42 PM
Well, that's good, but base is where the water usually ends up.
But you could probably just put 2x4's inside for bracing to gaurantee structural support if you're concerned.

Love the gorilla glue!!!LOL

goda
05/11/2006, 09:49 PM
btw knoticed that my stand is bowing the top piece of wood where the tank rest is bowing 1/4 inch more then when i got it

seems like a 10 sq foot piece of wood ( looks like 5 thiner pieces of CHIP board glued to gether) would need more support then just along the edges... i may put a center brace and such

hey azreefer if your still around i wanna hear what you think i should do

tkeracer619
05/12/2006, 12:10 AM
MDF stands for medium density fiberboard. It is basically a bunch of thin paper-like sheets stuck together with pressure and glue.

It doesn't stand up to moisture at all. I would replace the stand now than buy a whole new setup and have to mop the floor later.

goda
05/12/2006, 02:43 PM
stands more expensive then the tank tho lol
i would build one but doubt i could do any better.

im planning on moving in 2 years and i think this stand will hold up for 2 more years .( after taht ill probobly move and start all over)

demonboy279
05/12/2006, 03:46 PM
its not that hard to build a stand it just takes some 2x4s and some plywood if ya want but its not a neccessity. get some gorilla glue and either long screws or nails. the add paneling or plywood for looks. me and my brother built a stand for a 55 gallon and a stand for a 75 gallon in one night and they work perfectly

goda
05/12/2006, 05:17 PM
id need ply wood tho since it is a acrylic tank. i dont think i could do it level tho

i may just build a stand inside of a stand. and prey that the stand i built will never end up bearing a load

jdhanover
05/12/2006, 10:38 PM
I'm building one for my 150 with 3/4" plywood plus a 2x4 frame and many, many, many screws. But most people's stands are just the plywood. I am more comfortable with the 2x4s. Maybe put one in each corner?