PDA

View Full Version : Really concerned

The Beaut
05/08/2006, 06:57 PM
Decided yesterday to change from a wet dry filter, that i have had running for at least 8years with no problems, to a refugium. Just thought with all the talk of a crash and nitrates being returned back into the system, it was time to do it. By the way i have never had a nitrate problem. I guess it is because i do regular water changes. Anyway all my corals have withdrawn since yesterday, i tested my water and everything was fine except my ph is very low. what could cause this. I did put all my bio balls in the fuge and will gradually remove them. Does anyone know what could cause this. I am really worried if i did the wrong thing changing to a fuge. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks in advance

The Beaut
05/08/2006, 07:39 PM
anyone?

mg426
How low is very low???

The Beaut
It was about 7.6

Brenden
05/08/2006, 07:43 PM
Any surface current? Water breaking the surface in main? Do you have a canopy of top on the tank? How does the water enter the fuge?

Yames14
05/08/2006, 07:44 PM
I wonder if perhaps your removing the wet/dry also lowered the oxygen in the water. There's some good info in this link on low pH issues Low pH: Causes and Cures (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php)

Hopefuully this can help you trace the issue.

Good luck

omni2226
05/08/2006, 07:44 PM
Hard to say..if magnesium and alk levels are ok I wouldnt fiddle with the ph too much till you know for sure why it dipped.

One question...if it wasnt broken why try to fix it? If you have had no nitrate problems......well too late for that I guess.

Now the corals could have closed just from a sudden change in water conditions. Keep an eye on them and give it a day.

socalreefer73
05/08/2006, 07:47 PM
I would say that could be the problem. I'm no expert though. pH, much like the Richter scale (earthquakes) is logarithmic (exponential).

"In the chemistry of natural waters, there are several types of alkalinity that are encountered. Each of these is a measure of how much acid (H+) is required to lower the pH to a specific level."

I would assume your alkalinity is off as well?

What are your water params?

pH? -- 7.6
Alkalinity?
Calcium?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?

Did you rinse your bioballs?
(tankwater -- good)
(freshwater -- bad)

omni2226
05/08/2006, 07:49 PM
Mmm I meant not to change ph much with chemicals, never thought of the oxygen. I assumed the wet/dry was converted into the fuge and was "spalshing" through the overflow baffles....ya low oxygen can kill the ph quick.

socalreefer73
05/08/2006, 07:50 PM
When you filled your refigium with salt-water, was it aged and pH, temp, and buffered to match the aquarium?
Did you just turn on the pump full boar and flood your system with that new salt-water?

socalreefer73
05/08/2006, 07:52 PM
I would think the wet/dry trickle oxygenation would be nearly insignificant compared to protein skimmer oxygenation...

The Beaut
05/08/2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the replies, Alk is also low, cant remember number right now, amonia-0, nitrate-0, nitrite-o, phos-0. I used all the same water. Just removed the wet dry and put in a new fuge. I have a lot of surface agitation so oxygen is not a problem, my fish are also not showing any signs of stress.Also did not clean bio balls. I have raised the ph back up with some buffer so we will see in the morning. I am sure you all understand, we all put a lot of effort in creating the best living environment for our animals, it sucks to see them in distress. Thanks again for your help

The Beaut
05/08/2006, 08:35 PM
omni2226, you are right. Why did i try and fix something that was not broken? Anyway to late now, just hope it works it self out.

Kurt03
05/08/2006, 09:56 PM
if wet dry's tend to crash like you said you were avoiding a problem and you did the right thing. Do you have a skimmer in your system? If you can let us know what the alk is and other test mentioned above it would help out alot. Hope it evens out for you

Sk8r
05/08/2006, 10:01 PM
Give it every test you own and report the results here. Critters don't like change, bottom line, and will conservatively pull back until they're calm again. The 7.9 is not good, but it's not awful: don't worry too much yet.

The Beaut
05/09/2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks again. I have a coral life skimmer 125 always running. I will test everything again when i get back home and let you know

The Beaut
05/10/2006, 08:26 AM
Update, not so good.
Ca 450, alk 4.5megl, nitrate 0, nitirte 0, ph 8 and here is the problem ammonia 10.Did a water change and added bacteria, maybe i drowned my bacteria on my bio balls when i put them in the new sump. I think all my challices are gone, the rest of the corals are fine. I have or should i say had 5 very unique ones that i will probably not be able to replace. Anyway all i can do now is wait and see how things work out. Some advice to anyone who is planning to change over from wet dry to refugium, run your wet dry while you are running your fuge and then slowly remove the bio balls or even set up your fuge to have a bio ball compartment.