PDA

View Full Version : Bad skimmer?

bighaig
05/08/2006, 08:42 PM
Hello,
I have a skimmer which I bought from Petco for about $200. This is for a 150G tank. It worked OK for a few days, but has now started to act crazy. There is no way to get it to produce a cup or two of skimmate a day. It is either nothing, or about a gallon of greenish water every two hours. When I come home from work, I turn it up and when bed time is near I shut it down. I know this is not how it is supposed to be. I have cleaned, scrubbed it etc to no luck.

1) Is this how a skimmer is supposed to work?

2) If not how does one work? How much crud a day? Is it consistent (i have had minor floods because of mine when left on at night when it first started happening).

3) Should I know that I will get about 2-3 cups a day and not more, or does it fluctuate that much 2 cups - 2 gallons a day?

Thanks for your help!

kiowascout
05/08/2006, 08:43 PM
what kind is it?

Kurt03
05/08/2006, 08:47 PM
when you first setup a skimmer they are inconsistant and you should have the bubbles set pretty low to avoid overflow. after it gets the insides coated it will start pulling some nice stuff out. like what kiowascout said it would really help to know what skimmer it is. I have mine setup to dump into a gallon jug after the cup is full just incase, i dont want that stinky stuff spilling into the tank or all over the floor.

bighaig
05/08/2006, 08:51 PM
It is a Pro Clear Aquatics MPS 150 Protein Skimmer http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=2128&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=skimmer&sku=946265&familyID=14827&

I have had it for about 2 months now. That should be enough break it time right?

fishaholic911
05/08/2006, 09:09 PM
It looks like you adjust this thing like a euro reef? Set the bubbles 1/4 the way up the neak with the riser overflow adjustment and leave the airline fully open. This is my Guess as I am a Euroreef and asm owner. I have never owned a pro clear before hope this helps some

fishaholic911
05/08/2006, 09:11 PM
1/4 way of the neak in the colection cup

bassnman11
05/08/2006, 10:37 PM
Unless you have a very heavy bioload you are not going to get a cup or 2 per day unless you run the skimmer very wet. I would crank down the adjustments and raise the a little at a time. Wait for at least 15 minutes after adjustment to see what it is doing.

bighaig
05/08/2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys. I will give it a try. I am glad I didn't dish out $350 for a better skimmer before asking these questions.

myusername
05/08/2006, 11:11 PM
I have one, I put a ball valve on it and it works alot better. I have a had it for about 2years.But I also just bought a H&S simmer this week. that will kick a.s!

bighaig
05/11/2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys. Things have gotten much better. I did like fishaholic911 mentioned and left the airline open, but lowered the neck (why didnt I think of that) and now I am getting about .5 half gallon a day (very wet skim). I will drop it down on the weekend.

Thanks again!