PDA

View Full Version : Surge Device GPH? Pipe Sizing?

Maeda
05/09/2006, 12:29 AM
I'm going to run a Carlson Surge Device on my SPS tank...

I was looking at adding the equivalent of 500 gph...
Anyone know how I could calculate this?

I was looking at running a 5-7 gallon surge on a 500 gph pump.
What size outlet should I plumb to the display?
I was thinking 3/4" and a 1/2" feed to the surge tank...

I've read a bunch of threads and diagrams and get how it works but, am still unsure what all the details are... Please help! I'm trying to drill holes in the display and I won't be able to guess and check. o_O

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Maeda/plan24.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Maeda/project24open.png

Kinetic
05/09/2006, 01:59 AM
that's such a crazy diagram! awesome!

i'd also like to know about the surges, because I may be setting one up for my prop tank from the drain of my display upstairs ;)

Mr James
05/09/2006, 06:45 AM
I have seen some sweet renderings and illustrations in my time, but the second picture takes first place in my book!! I hope you occupation encompasses you talent.

Maeda
05/09/2006, 12:53 PM
koden: you're like the force... you're everywhere!
do I have to be the guinea pig on this one? doh.

Mr James: I'm funemployed.

Kinetic
05/09/2006, 01:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7333268#post7333268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maeda
koden: you're like the force... you're everywhere!

LOL! that's too funny. wait, if you see me everywhere, then you must also be everywhere!

Maeda
05/09/2006, 01:29 PM
Yes I am! I can't get enough information on a lot of my plans! It's so frustrating to be the guinea pig!

Maeda
05/09/2006, 05:31 PM
5 Gallon surges will fill my tank about 2 inches.
Given a 400 GPH pump and 3/4" pipe return and input...

Yields 5 Gallons in 45 seconds and refills in 45 seconds means about 40 cycles (drain and refill) per hour yielding 200 gph!

HOWEVER, 200 gph does not necissarily account for the water moving and pushing display water with it.

The incomming water should also pull display water with it making for more flow correct?
if not..

Should I make the pipes bigger? A 1 inch return makes for 5 gallons in 30 seconds, but i'm afraid that will blow water and live stock out of the tank!

Anybody?

Justjoe
05/09/2006, 07:07 PM
Flow in pipe can easily be 1/2", you don't need to fill the bucket quickly.
I would make the outflow larger, at least 1"

Nice drawing for sure, but you'll regret only having 6" clearence from tank top to hood.
Joe

Maeda
05/09/2006, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7335632#post7335632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justjoe
Flow in pipe can easily be 1/2", you don't need to fill the bucket quickly.
I would make the outflow larger, at least 1"

Nice drawing for sure, but you'll regret only having 6" clearence from tank top to hood.
Joe

Thanks joe.

Thats where the magic comes in. I'm trying to figure out a way to make that part easily removable like ikea shelving.

Or at the very least have the sides removable.

It also doubles as a preventative measure for my g/f from sticking her hands in there and 'cleaning'(She loves doing tank maintanence but its really not as great as it sounds).

kgross
05/09/2006, 11:41 PM
There is a lot to how fast your surge can hit your tank. I would suggest that you go with the 1 inch drain. If it is hitting the tank to hard, just put some type of a restriction in the outlet from the surge and it will slow it down, but if it does not hit hard enough, you can not increase the size after you have it setup.

I currently have many surge devices in operation and I will suggest that rather than going with the carlson surge go with a borneman toilet flapper, less headaches tuning it and you will not have to re-tune anything if you change pumps or your lines clog slightly.

Kim