PDA

View Full Version : humu trigger in reef?

Jon Evans
05/09/2006, 09:21 AM
I am getting as many opinions as possible on keeping a trigger in a softie reef. I know that they like to rearrange rocks and eat hermits, but will my snails be safe? Anyone keep triggers in reefs?

skeeter_ca
05/09/2006, 10:28 AM
I had a HumaHuma in a FOWLR and it was very docile and didn't have any problems with other fish or any of my snails but i think i was lucky. If hungry and has a bad temperment i think it would eat every snail, shrimp and crab around. Can you say escargo!

davocean
05/09/2006, 10:48 AM
I had one a long time ago when I was fish only, he went straight at my shrimp and shredded them b4 I could do anything.
I wouldn't even think of having one in my tank now.

psimitry
05/09/2006, 11:43 AM
I don't think there is anyone on here that could recommend that one try to keep a trigger in a reef tank.

In the EXTREMELY small stages, it may be possible to keep one. But it won't stay that way.

If a trigger is absolutely necessary, aim for one that tends to be more docile (like a niger trigger).

skeeter_ca
05/09/2006, 12:21 PM
I had a dragon wrasse in a FOWLR tank and he didn't bother anything. He got along great with my Coral Banded Shrimp. Had him for about a year then he died. I replaced him and the first thing the new one did was make a snack of my 2 yr old CB Shrimp.

ReeferRyan
05/09/2006, 05:18 PM
I have a 2 year old Niger Trigger in my reef tank with no problems really. She is definitely the boss and will occasionally chase other fish away from her food, but other than that no problems. I have shrimp, snails, and lettuce nudi's and she doesn't mess with them or my corals at all.

There are several people in our club who keep triggers in their reef tanks but only Niger and Blue Throats. I would say any other trigger would be too much of a risk.

m3rcury
05/09/2006, 06:33 PM
would the trigger have to be kept alone? e.g., i have a flame hawkfish and a coral beauty. i assume these are HIGHLY incompatible. correct?

ReeferRyan
05/09/2006, 08:15 PM
I can not imagine the hawk having any problems. As for the CB I can't really say, and all fish are different, but I do have an Eibli angel in with my Niger and a Yellow Tang and they all get along great.

Cutiewitbooty
05/09/2006, 08:42 PM
you could always look into a bule throat or a pink tail trigger they are completely reef safe.

m3rcury
05/09/2006, 08:52 PM
i've always loved triggers. but, i only have a 40 gallon. the LFS of course says this would be fine in terms of size. but, after snorkelling in hawaii and seeing their adult size, i can't imagine this is true. would the blue throat or pink tail be both safe with my other fish AND would 40 gallons be large enough?

Cutiewitbooty
05/09/2006, 08:57 PM
no 40 gal wouldn't be big enough. I would say the very min. would be at least 75 gal. They would bo ok with all fish (unless they are aggressive with him) and corals/inverts

Jon Evans
05/09/2006, 09:20 PM
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to check into a blue throat or pink tail!

Jon Evans
05/09/2006, 09:23 PM
ReeferRyan, do you have any pictures of tangs in reefs? I would like to see them. I have a yellow tang, a watchman goby, sixline wrasse, three blue green chromis, and a perc in the tank now. Would a trigger kill any of these or just bully them around.

ReeferRyan
05/10/2006, 07:04 AM
I have a really crappy camera... sorryhttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/ReeferRyan/3-22-06/3-22-06003.jpg

This is my Niger Trigger in my reef. I have several LPS, SPS, and softies and she doesn't touch any of them. As for fish, I have a yellow tang, blue velvet wrasse, two perc's, mandarin goby, bar goby, royal gramma, eibli angel, and a serpent star along with lots of snails and shrimp. No problems.

Just realized that said tangs not triggers. I will leave that one there in case someone else wants to see it. Here ya go.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/ReeferRyan/3-22-06/3-22-06004.jpg

pactrop
05/10/2006, 07:23 AM
The Crosshatch trigger is my favorite. I sell them all the time to guys who put them in reef tanks.
http://www.pacifictropics.com/images/600_TRIGGER_CROSSHATCH_MALE_.jpg

pactrop
05/10/2006, 07:26 AM
one more thing

FYI
the Huma trigger is actually called the Humu. It is rooted from the Hawaiian name for the fish, Humuhumunukunukuapuaa (don't hurt yourself trying). It translates to something like "grunts like a pig" because they grunt when you grab them or take them out of water.

Waxxiemann
05/10/2006, 07:28 AM
There is a vid on Reefvideos.com and there is a guy on there with 2 blue throats in his beautiful reef. The video is of "mike's" tank.

Check it out.

ej1698
05/10/2006, 10:56 AM
Hey all,

My friend is moving and asked me if I wanted his niger trigger, Not sure if I can take him so...could use a little help. In my 90 gallon now is a naso tang, blue tang, mated pair of maroon clowns, sailfin tang, emperor angelfish, lawnmower blenny. I also have softie's in there. I will be setting up a 125 gallon in the near future. but need to know if I can take the trigger now.

Thanks
EJ